Buying a second hand car

Questions relating to buying or owning a property. Moving to Menorca Sub-forum: moving to, or living and working on Menorca
missy82
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Buying a second hand car

Post by missy82 » December 16th, 2019, 5:44 pm

Can anyone tell me why we can buy a cheap run a round from....do the any of the car rental companies sell off the cars cheaply?

kieronf
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Re: Buying a second hand car

Post by kieronf » December 16th, 2019, 5:47 pm

Depends what you mean by cheap. The rental companies will sell-off cars that are 3 or 4 years old, depending on the mileage, but they do expect value from them and cars are expensive on the island. If you just want an old banger, facebook has a couple of groups on the island that sell items and cars are quite plentiful.

RetiringEarly
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by RetiringEarly » December 16th, 2019, 11:30 pm

I bought from auto Victoria - Tony & Chris Perkins. Very good service and they look after it when I am not there and deliver and pick up at the airport. 0034 609 62 93 80. Just mention that I recommended to you. Giles.

Shuggie
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Shuggie » December 17th, 2019, 7:43 am

If you phone the number above probably best not to ask for Tony as he passed away a few weeks ago.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

RetiringEarly
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by RetiringEarly » December 17th, 2019, 9:52 pm

I am so sorry to hear that Shuggie. I was not aware. A lovely man. I also know that Darren has not been well recently and is having to spend some time out of the business.

Rickse28
1 Star Supporter
1 Star Supporter

Post by Rickse28 » December 28th, 2019, 6:27 pm

Thanks for the info and sorry to learn about the death of one of the team. Can you tell me their whereabouts? If I am over there I might pop by; that is, if they are a normal forecourt business.
I am aware of the higher prices there. During my last visit in the summer hols, I saw a Citroen Mahari parked, with a for sale sticker on the windscreen. The cheeky expletive was asking e10,000! I realised it was something of a captive market there.
What if a car was bought on the mainland and ferried over? I would think Barcelona would be a good starting place.
I was tempted to use a Gibraltar-based company that I saw advertised online, which offers ex-military Land Rovers. It would have been fun to take a few days to drive it to the ferry and import it to Menorca. Decided against it in the end, mainly because of Brexit!

Rickse28
1 Star Supporter
1 Star Supporter

Post by Rickse28 » December 29th, 2019, 7:36 pm

:rock: I have just been doing some investigation work online, looking for Autos Victoria. I tried Paginas Amarillas and there is a company of that name in Carrer Sant Josep, Es Castell. If it is them, it is behind the wall and high gate next to the cafe. Weirdly, last year we were cruising around doing the old town, and farther east, ending up in Cafe Granata (?), I think because the lurid artwork on the wall (Nr 31) fascinated them. :partyman:
Regards from Rick and :spazzies:

RetiringEarly
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by RetiringEarly » December 30th, 2019, 11:23 pm

Hi Rick

You could have a look at

www.autosvictoria.com is the website for their car hire business.

The address is - Av. des Cap de Cavalleria, 07714 Maó, Illes Balears, Spain. They are next to the Galp Petrol Station

Regards. Giles

Rickse28
1 Star Supporter
1 Star Supporter

Post by Rickse28 » January 4th, 2020, 12:38 pm

I have just got off Google Earth, doing online research. I reckon I found it. There is a company called ACG cars next door to Autos Victoria, with a green logo, which I will note. We went into the cash n carry about 100m along the road when there on hols - another handy locator! I have used that petrol station a few times, too.
I think I will try them as a rental co, too. :idea: Many thanks, Giles!