Heightened Terror Threat Summer 2019

Accommodation & Restaurant info for the Los Delfines resort area including Cala Forcat, Brut and Blanes.
alisonward
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Heightened Terror Threat Summer 2019

Post by alisonward » June 17th, 2019, 8:29 pm

I have just seen a few articles online tonight which have given me cause for concern. I understand that there have been threats which the Spanish authorities are, quite correctly, taking seriously pertaining to potential terrorist attacks on Spanish holiday resorts this summer. Whilst I appreciate that the world in which we live is sadly not as safe as it used to be, are any other members of this forum aware of these recent threats and have you observed a stronger police presence at, say the airport or in the city centres of Ciutadella and Mahon. Although Menorca was not mentioned specifically, the neighbouring islands of Ibiza and Majorca were, together with the Canaries and Mainland Spain. Thanks in anticipation for any information you may be able to share.

Sunseaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Heightened Terror Threat Summer 2019

Post by Sunseaker » June 18th, 2019, 2:16 pm

We have not heard anything, apart from some of our members having holiday homes on Menorca, and members who live there we also have good friends who we are in contact with regularly who live there, nothing has been said, we are going in September and so far we are not worried, unfortunately anything can happen anywhere at any time so we have to just get on with life and live it to the full, try not to be concerned.
I only let him think he's in charge.

alisonward
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by alisonward » June 19th, 2019, 7:05 am

Thanks for your reassurance Sunseeker :smile: NOTHING will stop me going to Menorca and enjoying myself :barmy:

Sunseaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sunseaker » June 19th, 2019, 2:01 pm

:toasting: :toasting:

Keefyd
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by Keefyd » June 20th, 2019, 11:53 am

Seems another fake news attempt.......
Published in today’s Menorca Newspaper:

False alerts about terrorist attacks in the tourist areas of the Balearic Islands and the other Spanish holiday destinations published since last Sunday more than 45 UK media outlets have raised the alarm Govern, Turespaña, in the Foreign Office and in the tourism business world of the Islands.

The UK press has confused the 'summer operation', which has been taking place for ten years in all Spanish destinations, as a political decision by the Spanish Government on preventive issues to prevent attacks.

The problem is that more than 45 British media have been reporting this wrong news since Sunday, hence the concern in the Government, Turespaña and the Foreign.

The director of the Balearic Tourism Strategy Agency (AETIB), Jaume Alzamora,said on Wednesday: "The Govern has acted quickly through our communication agency in the United Kingdom to disprove the news and that the news is imposed Normal. A communication has been forwarded to the media clarifying all the facts'.

He added that the aim was to "debunk this information and prevent it from happening again. At the same time, we do not know the negative effects on the British tourism market, but we are confident that the repercussions have been minimal."

Turespaña, through the Spanish Tourist Office (OET) in London, is doing the same to inform itself correctly of what it is and means the reinforcement of police over 40,000 members in the tourist areas during the months of July to September for increase law enforcement measures.

The Spanish Government and the Government have brought this false news to the British consular department of Barcelona, as well as to the UK Embassy itself in Spain.

Consular sources indicated that the Foreign Office's response has been immediate and that, through a note, it has reported that the level of security in the Spanish tourist areas has not been raised, as well as that the reinforcement of police and civil guard is normal every storm summer increase because of the increase in tourist flow.

Hotel associations in Mallorca, Menorca and Ibiza have expressed concern about the negative impact of this fake news and the impact they may have had on the evolution of last-minute bookings of British families to the Balearic Islands, even more so increased competition from the eastern Mediterranean countries, in the case of Turkey and Egypt.

"This is malicious news that the British press misrepresents, especially when it affects Spain. Our country attracts 19 million British tourists, of whom 3.7 million come to the Balearic Islands," hoteliers said that they operate with this market.

The Hotel Business Federation of Mallorca (FEHM) did not want to assess this situation on Wednesday, stating that we did not have to enter an information spiral that does not benefit anyone.

Security reinforcement

The Ministry of the Interior has this year assigned 44,700 officers (22,700 of the National Police and 22,000 of the Civil Guard) to strengthen security in the Spanish tourist areas, including the Balearic Islands from 1 July. The so-called 'summer operation' is carried out to ensure safety. This increase in agents is what has confused the UK media.
Lover of everything Menorcan. :jozza:

Sunseaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sunseaker » June 21st, 2019, 9:48 pm

Thank you for taking the time to share.

Annie41
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Annie41 » June 22nd, 2019, 1:24 pm

Thank you for spending the time to clarify the real position. It is horrible that these false reports can scare and put everyone off.

Annie

Return to “C-Menorca sponsored Los Delfines, Cala Forcat, Cala Blanes area.”