Parking fine? Translation help

Any general questions, tips or information, best beaches, great days and nights out in Menorca.
Kaylie765

Parking fine? Translation help

Post by Kaylie765 » January 26th, 2019, 11:33 pm

Hi,

We were in Menorca in July 2018. When we were at Fornells, we parked our car at what we thought was proper parking but when we came back we saw a notice in our car. We asked our hotel reception what it meant and they said it was just a warning and to ignore it.

A few days back I got a post from Ports IB in Spanish/Catalan asking me to pay a fine. First question is, is this proper? Second is how much should I pay?

All I can tell is the fine is €170 with a reduced fine of €102. I don't really know if I'm still in the time frame for reduced limit and I can't tell how to make a payment. I tried calling the number on the letter but none of them speaks English :(

I think I can see what the IBAN and BIC is but I don't know what my reference should be when making the payment. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Images are here:
https://cdn1.imggmi.com/uploads/2019/1/ ... 4-full.jpg
https://ibb.co/xX6t7xj

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Re: Parking fine? Translation help

Post by Sue Adderley » January 27th, 2019, 3:05 pm

Hi

In the first instance it might be best to contact the car hire company, as it would be them who passed your details on to the authorities (if this is genuine). They should also be able to help with arranging payment.

In recent years the authorities have been cracking down on tourist parking (despite there not being any where near enough car parks.) :roll: My brother got a parking ticket last year in Son Bou (as did every other car along the same road), for parking half on and half off the pavement. If he'd have parked completely on the road he'd have been okay. There weren't any signs to say they shouldn't park with wheels on the pavement, but apparently it's some kind of unwritten rule on the island. We've also had to pay a parking fine in the past and know that the easiest way to get it sorted (and get the discount) is to go to the local Ajuntament (council) office before you come home and pay in person.

Saying that, I would imagine a lot of tourist parking fines go unpaid, especially if the culprit doesn't intend on going back to the destination (not that I'm saying you shouldn't pay of course :grin: .) Almost 20 years ago we received a parking ticket through the post after a holiday we'd had in Sicily. It was printed in Italian and obviously we hadn't got a clue what to do (the internet wasn't as informative as it is these days,) so we simply didn't pay it, as we weren't planning on returning there any time soon. We've got a holiday home in Menorca, so it's a little different. That said, we would like to go back to Sicily at some point in the future, and are praying that we won't be met by the Mafia with a horse's head at the airport! :lol:

Sue :partyman:

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » January 29th, 2019, 6:02 pm

Sue Adderley wrote:
January 27th, 2019, 3:05 pm
That said, we would like to go back to Sicily at some point in the future, and are praying that we won't be met by the Mafia with a horse's head at the airport! :lol:
This has been done in Menorca, don't ask for details cos the conversation I had with Roger Evens is rather vague. But if me memory serves me right then one of his regulars (car hire or car storage, I can't remember) was grabbed at the airport for a minor motoring offence, speeding, parking?? And I believe he/she had to go before the courts the following day and pay up before being released.
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » January 31st, 2019, 6:54 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Oh dear, in that case, definitely find out how to pay if you're going back to the island! :lol: