Car ownership

Any general questions, tips or information, best beaches, great days and nights out in Menorca.
pc.hc@tesco.net
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Car ownership

Post by pc.hc@tesco.net » January 2nd, 2019, 7:26 pm

Hi everyone
Does anyone have experience of car ownership and storage? Cost, insurance etc. Need to weigh up if it’s worth exploring as a 40 summer stay is going to cost over €1300? Any thoughts welcome

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Car ownership

Post by Slartibartfast » January 2nd, 2019, 8:19 pm

Hi. First you need to work out if it would be cheaper to buy or rent. Take the full cost over two or three years, cost to buy + tax + insurance + maintenance + storage + .... A guide line of 8 weeks rental/ use is useful. Less than that and it could be cheaper to rent, but it depends mainly on the initial cost of the car.

If you contact Pancho info@ambercarsmenorca.com he will be able to help with everything, including buying, storing, mot'ing ... I don't think he's in Menorca as he told me he was eating Haggis neeps and tatties when I wished him all the best for the new year :lol:

4 years ago my car tax was ?50+€? Insurance was ?150-160€? I believe storage is somewhere around 400€ [guesstimate] per year but this normally included dropping car at airport and collecting when you leave plus cleaning etc. He can also get the car serviced and mot's if you want him to.
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

pc.hc@tesco.net
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by pc.hc@tesco.net » January 2nd, 2019, 8:22 pm

Thanks Slarti

RetiringEarly
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by RetiringEarly » January 3rd, 2019, 12:50 am

Hi Pc.hc. I had quite a debate with myself over this issue and eventually decided to buy and have stored. yes, you could do a lot of arithmetic and make a very informed cost-based decision, but I basically thought of the convenience and the fact that you would only need one relatively minor accident to cause a lot of hassle and possible extra cost.

I bought a 10 year old Corsa from Tony & Chris Perkins (Victoria Autos but now called something else), (I can let you have details) and the car is stored when I am in UK, delivered to the airport and collected from there, and they will arrange the MoT (IVA) and any servicing at additional costs. Basic fee is €400 which I find reasonable for the lack of hassle.

The car is ok. I wouldn’t want anything much newer. It’s done 70,000 kms and has a few dents and scrapes but so what, you pick those up in Menorca all the time!!

I have an apartment in Son Bou and come over around 6 times a year - mainly 2/3 weeks at a time. It is just another one of those things that reduces the worries. Tony & Chris are very good, and so is Darren their main mechanic. If anything goes wrong you can call them up and they respond.

Insurance was €275 with Mapfre per annum.

As Slartibartfast says there are also others doing this service so ask around.

Good luck and Happy New Year!

Giles

pc.hc@tesco.net
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by pc.hc@tesco.net » January 3rd, 2019, 12:39 pm

Hi Giles

Thanks for this if you could let me have the details that would be appreciated. Second hand cars seem quite expensive it seems so do you mind me asking what you roughly paid for the Corsa?

My annual costs are currently around €2000 with some shopping around, so it might be a sensible next step.

Thanks Phil

Shuggie
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Shuggie » January 3rd, 2019, 3:24 pm

I bought a car few weeks after we bought our place in 2014. It cost me €1000 for a 1998 Corsa. At a grand I don’t really care much for it, if someone bumps it...so what. I wash it once a year, usually in June :lol: :lol: Change the oil once a year, ITV once a year with a few costs to get it through, just the usual stuff, tyres, exhaust, brakes as needed. It starts first time every time and I love it. So much so that I bought the wife a second one back in the U.K. when her Focus died, same year 98, same price, but it’s blue and not white ish :lol: :lol: like the menorcan one. I’m lucky that I can park it on the drive so don’t need to worry about storage. Best grand I’ve ever spent.

Second hand cars are a crazy price on the island. If I was going to buy another one I’d take a trip to Barcelona where you obviously have much more choice.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » January 3rd, 2019, 3:58 pm

If you're in the market for a 3-4-5 year old car then the best place to look is any of the local car hire places. In winter they sell off older cars to make room for new stock and from what I've seen they are a lot cheaper that any of the garages.
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

kieronf
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by kieronf » January 3rd, 2019, 5:35 pm

I bought a Panda a year ago. I say 'bought', I couldn't actually have title to the car until I was a property owner or had registered with the authorities (you can buy a €2m house, but not a car - weird), Anyway, I bought it from a car hire company and it came with (eventually) the transfer, two services and the ITV. Just last week (and outside the guarantee) the battery died in the underground car park in Binipreu of all places. Phoned the guy who sold the car, he was there in 10 minutes, we drove back to his place where he changed the dud battery for a new one at no charge. You won't get that sort of customer service if you buy in Barcelona.......