Paper Talk - Residencia holders barred from boarding flights

Any general questions, tips or information, best beaches, great days and nights out in Menorca.
kieronf
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Paper Talk - Residencia holders barred from boarding flights

Post by kieronf » January 3rd, 2021, 6:15 pm

Much talk today online and in the press about an incident where a group of expats were refused boarding on a plane in the UK bound for Spain even though they had their green residencia cards.

The problem it seems stems from a lack of knowledge from the UK boarding crew as the UK govt and the Spanish govt have both since confirmed that the green residencia card (or the new TIE when ikts rolled out) together with a valid passport is all that is required for expats to return to Spain from the UK. Of course there is now an issue for those that haven't declared themselves and applied for residencia - I can't see how they can get back on the island once they leave for any reason.

dream.island
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Re: Paper Talk - Residencia holders barred from boarding flights

Post by dream.island » January 3rd, 2021, 9:36 pm

I read that on a flight to Barcelona the expats boarded the ba flight, got to Barcelona and were then refused entry as they had the old paper residentia documents. They then had to return to the UK on that same flight back. It was then that ba started to query the documents.

harryzimm
1 Star Supporter
1 Star Supporter

Post by harryzimm » January 4th, 2021, 3:56 pm

I hope this is just a temporary glitch in the bureaucratic process.

This situation has made me realize that somehow I have forgotten what the advantage of leaving the EU was supposed to be. Can anyone refresh my memory???

kieronf
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by kieronf » January 4th, 2021, 6:32 pm

harryzimm wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 3:56 pm
I hope this is just a temporary glitch in the bureaucratic process.

This situation has made me realize that somehow I have forgotten what the advantage of leaving the EU was supposed to be. Can anyone refresh my memory???
Day 4 - there was always likely to be the odd glitch. Nine people affected out of how many arriving daily. The only reason this is news is because some reporter was on the plane.