Budha Bar , Vincent issues?

Accommodation & Restaurant info for the Son Bou, San Jamie and Torri Soli resort area.
watta
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Budha Bar , Vincent issues?

Post by watta » September 26th, 2020, 4:13 pm

Sue Adderley wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 12:23 pm

Roll on Christmas, that's what I say :cool: The flights have been booked for months and we're still holding out hope for NYE at Es Moli Des Raco :partyman:

Sue :toasting:

Well best of luck to you for Xmas, as the way things are going now in Europe it could well be a total shut down all over. Also on top of that is todays' news that EasyJet are hanging by a thread. :shock: :shock:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54303379

Take care and be safe.

Alan
:cool:
:supz: :dream: :c9: :finga:

ROLL ON 2021, perhaps.

dsr
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by dsr » September 26th, 2020, 4:59 pm

Hopefully some hyped-up speaking to the (Trade Union) audience in the EasyJet comments. Clearly they must be struggling - but so are all airlines.

As an aside, they have flown us to Menorca today. Impressed by their standards and clear attention to detail. Far less impressed with many of the fellow passengers - people seem not to hear when asked to stay seated and not move forward to disembark until the row in front has cleared.

Further aside, as I had declared a cough on my entry form. I was flagged to talk to a doctor and have basic checks. Done sensitively, efficiently and speedily. Well done the Menorcan health service.

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » September 26th, 2020, 5:09 pm

Yes, I did hear about Easyjet earlier today and the only glimmer of hope is the bit where they say 'unless we have a really good summer, next summer,' which makes me think that hopefully they have a chance of lasting into the New Year. The report also says that there's no evidence to say that Easyjet are suffering any more than other airlines throughout this crisis :???:

However, with regards to Covid, of course no-one knows if anything will change next year, despite a lot of folk seeming to think that everything will be back to normal in 2021 :roll:

It's just frustrating having an empty apartment sat over there (with all the associated bills still being paid) that we've only been able to use for 2 weeks this year so far (and we particularly love our Christmas holiday, which allows us an escape from grey Britain in the depths of winter). TBH, we probably wouldn't have risked going away this year at all if we'd have had to stay in a random hotel somewhere. But there are a lot of folk who've been through untold grief this year, so I'm not going to moan too much if we don't get there! :eek:

corsario
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by corsario » October 6th, 2020, 3:21 pm

Well Sue, I don't think the UK quarantine regs have changed, so i guess you didn't make it over here?
Compostella still open, and I believe they do hope to stay open over the Winter, but frankly there's not much happening so i wouldn't blame them if they decided to close later this month. I'm heading down there tonight so will ask them and report back.
I had half a round of golf at Son Parc today...very pleasant and reasonably busy, but only 9 holes are playing. The bar and restaurant closed weeks ago.
So sad to see this island suffering so much. I know things at home are bad too, but it's just so devastating for the local economy which has little else to work with apart from tourism. On a brighter note, I have been to Mahon for dinner a few times in the evenings, and while many places are closed, those that are open are heaving, and everyone is wearing masks. It's great to see so many people, young and old, out enjoying themselves, and apart from the masks it seems almost normal...except you can get a table in most places! Cafe del Nord in Fornells Platges is doing good business as are a few places in Fornells itself, and the mill in Es Mercadal seems to be booming. I ate there week before last and it was crammed...well, as crammed as they are allowed to be! Usual queue down the stairs and into the car park. I reckon they will always do well.
Hay que verlo para creerlo!

Every home needs a pantry...

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » October 9th, 2020, 9:35 pm

Hi Corsario :grin: I take it you're not Jose Mestre Fernandez who owns Corsario and Cosaco boats in Mahon harbour, because I think you're supposed to be in jail :lol: (worth Googling if you don't know the story :shock: )

Anyway, no, didn't make it over this month and now Christmas is looking dubious due to Easyjet deciding to end their winter-route schedule with the Menorcan government and stop selling flights between LGW and MAH. This is despite the fact that I booked my flights months ago and the Easyjet App is still telling me my next trip is in 74 days :roll: I'm now hoping to possibly get over via BRS - PMI, however, that's also Easyjet, so who knows????? :???:

Anyway, I'd be interested to know who's still open in Mahon harbour (Il Porto, Opera, Way)? Also, do you know Motin who ran Boni Indian in Son Bou? He opened up Dhaka Spice in the harbour, next to Pierro's, and I wondered if you noticed whether he seemed busy. I did wonder how he'd get on in Mahon, as Rainbow Spice has been there for years and never really seems to get that full, although we do usually pay them a visit at Christmas. Just thought Motin might struggle with the lack of curry-loving Brits about this year and he was hoping to stay open all year round too :???:

corsario
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by corsario » October 11th, 2020, 9:47 am

Hi Sue
No I am not that Jose chap! There may be some who might like to see me in jail though! Anyway, i am still at large and enjoying life here in Menorca.
On the easyjet question, I think you may be ok for a flight to PMI. It's a big market, and Tui is bringing flights from Germany into PMI from 15th October. Also, the government here is proposing new regs for a safe air corridor with UK, given the local incidence of Covid here is very low (apart from today's news of a group of 13 new infections in children). I have idly looked at flights back via BCN and there are a good few listed, but again they ae easyjet and Jet2, so who knows? Obviously BCN is a huge market, but the Covid levels there are pretty high. I wouldn't go there for a break,but as a transit point I'm quite relaxed about it.
The new Indian restaurant had a few diners last time I passsed by, but not busy. Il Porto was open a couple of weeks back (Im losing track of time here!) as was Way. I have eaten at Latitude 40 twice recently and I'm pleased to say that they were busy on both occasions and the food was excellent. Of course it is almost obligatory to reserve a table, not just because places are busy but because they have to limit the numbers, so you can be turned away even if a table is free due to having to have greater distancing. Some places have simply reduced the usual number of tables, but again that often means reservations are essential. To be fair, I am severely limiting my dining out, simply to reduce any possible exposure to Covid, but I do feel very safe here, and everyone seems to be observing the rules.
For those who golf, the course at Son Parc is actually open, but only 9 holes are in play as works are carried out on the course. Romeo y Julieta is closed, presumably due to the lack of golfers and visitors to the complex.
There were 4 or 5 places open in Fornells last week too, and they were busy. Ciutadella has a bit of choice too, but not nearly as busy as usual, obviously.
I will be in the centre at Son Bou later today and will see what places are still open.

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » October 12th, 2020, 2:23 pm

Good to know you aren't on the run Corsario :lol:

Many thanks for the update! I've no idea if we'll make it over there for Christmas now :???: but we're certainly going to try!
We do tend to eat out practically every night and are used to venturing into Mahon, Es Mercadal, Sant Lluis or Ferreries at that time of year, so it's good to hear that not everywhere has already closed. I read something in the Balearic press saying that up to 60% of businesses could collapse by the end of the year, so we've just got to hope for everyone's sake there's still enough custom to keep them afloat.

As for the resort, I know Compostella was open in December last year, for the first time ever, but TBH we didn't dine there. I believe Es Forn also stayed open at weekends, but we didn't go there either :neutral: To be honest, we prefer somewhere with a bit of life and don't want to be the only people sitting there, despite the Covid situation :rolleyes:

We did eat out every night, during our summer fortnight, and it certainly felt a lot safer than in the UK, and we didn't end up infected (as far as we know anyway) :???:

Hope you enjoy your last few days/weeks on the island :grin:

corsario
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by corsario » October 12th, 2020, 8:04 pm

Well Sue, here's another update.
Raining last night, but i went to the center and the only places open were Compostela and Maitai. I know Compostela doesn't have much atmosphere, but use it or lose it...
I had dinner there and there were 2 other tables of two...clearly, that can't pay, but the nice lady said they were intending to say open all Winter. I will pop in from time to time, but My paltry contribution can only be just that...
I don't go to MaiTai these days, but did support them in the past, however times change...
The supermarket San Crispin in Alaior is now on Winter schedule, so 9 to 1:30, but the others in Mahon are ok so far...Lidl still has the best fillet steaks! Man cannot live by steaks alone, but I will do my best!
Beautiful evening here, with a lovely sunset...but it gets dark so early...however, seeing the BBC news tells me i am better off here for now, so here I will stay.
Hope you get flights sorted so you can get here for christmas/New Year!
C

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » Yesterday, 5:13 pm

Hi Corsario

Many thanks for the update! Not much happening in the resort now then, unsurprisingly. We also haven't used the Mai Tai for a good few years (won't go into the reasons :mad: ) so we're obviously not missing much.

I see on another post that you're heading back to the UK soon :???: Well I don't suppose you can be happy forever :lol:

Anyhow, I have booked some more Christmas flights :cool: (despite the fact that Easyjet still haven't cancelled or refunded the LGW-MAH return flights we've already got booked; which we now know definitely won't be operating :evil: ). We're now going Easyjet (hopefully) from Manchester to Palma, then PMI to MAH with Air Europa and MAH to PMI with Iberia on the return leg. Not sure what the chances are of all 4 flights actually happening, but what the hell, I've got to try! :roll: I was just about to book BRS to PMI with Easyjet, when the return flight suddenly disappeared from their schedule :shock: and they now don't appear to have anything on that route at all, so it's all looking a bit dodgy :sad: Might end up swimming there :lol:

Safe flight/s home!