The new tourist registration law

Questions relating to buying or owning a property. Moving to Menorca Sub-forum: moving to, or living and working on Menorca
1duffy

The new tourist registration law

Post by 1duffy » August 6th, 2018, 11:30 am

Can someone please clarify the new law for me.

I have owned an apartment from new 13 years ago on a small 40 apartment complex in Addaia. At the time all new owners were told by their solicitors that they could not rent to tourists and it has been everyone’s little piece of paradise with some residents living there all year round to some of us who regular visit all year round and use as a second home.

The last couple of years there has been some apartments sold and it seems these people have only bought to rent.

Our administrator who is fairly new tells us we have to vote at this AGM in August for a tourist lisence or not for the complex.

He has painted a very rosy picture of it costing on 100 euros each apartment to get the lisence and nothing much else. But he has said that if people like myself have family to visit you still have to get the lisence or be fined!!!!

I cannot believe this, nor can I believe it will only cost 100 euros to obtain the license.

Can anyone please clarify this situation or point me in the right direction to obtain this information. There are many of us residents who are in despair. We just need to go armed to the meeting with the facts on costs and implications. Thankyou

SusieH

Re: The new tourist registration law

Post by SusieH » August 6th, 2018, 12:11 pm

Welcome to the site :grin:

I've moved your post into this forum as it deals more specifically with living on the island and all topics relating to it. Hopefully one of our lovely members will have the answer or help you need.
I'll stop moaning, when you give me a pay rise this :arms: big

:nonono: SITE POLICE - REMEMBER i'm watching you :nonono:

Shuggie
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Shuggie » August 6th, 2018, 1:33 pm

Not an easy question to answer as there is so much confusion, but see the following links.

https://www.spanishpropertyinsight.com/ ... ental-law/

https://www.turismoasturias.es/document ... 0c2e0fd103

You don’t need a licence if you are renting to friends and family and you can still charge the full market rent.

I’d be surprised if your apartments would be ablue to obtain a licence in the current climate. There are election in 15 months time so everything could change again if there is a change in power.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » August 6th, 2018, 3:32 pm

I agree with what Shuggie has said, you do not need a licence to let friends and family use your apartment. And I would guess that
At the time all new owners were told by their solicitors that they could not rent to tourists
were probably community rules set out by the community of owners. There are numerous complexes that have decided not to allow rentals so giving owners peace and quiet.

To me it sounds like some owners want this rule to change. You have the right to vote at the AGM as you wish but you must go with the majority which ever way the vote goes.
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

sanjaime
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by sanjaime » August 6th, 2018, 5:00 pm

At the AGM for our apartment complex in Son Bou, which is a designated Tourist Area the majority vote was that we would allow rental of the apartments.

After discussing the topic at some length it was pointed out that it was not possible to obtain a Tourist Licence for the complex, each apartment that wanted to rent in the future will have to apply for an individual licence.

Our President stated that more details should be announced in August this year (2018).
As regards the cost of obtaining a Tourist Licence some owners had made enquiries and figures mentioned were in the range of 600 euros to over 1000 euros, where lawyers had offered to do the job.

The figure of 100 euros to obtain a licence seems on the low side.

The other problem is that the authorities will be snowed under with applications, so the timscale to get a Tourist Licence for an apartment could be very long,

As has been pointed out above a change in Government could alter the rules.

It seems that some Holiday Companies renting apartments in Son Bou may be using old Licence numbers which may no longer be valid and would need to renewed under the new regulations.

This year I have met several British property owners who say they have had enough of all the hassles of having a holiday home in Menorca and have sold up or are seriously. thinking of leaving.
There does not seem to be a shortage of European buyers at the moment for sensibly priced properties.
A quality villa was sold in June to the firsts viewer, a Spanish buyer.

SJ

wiliam42
1 Star Supporter
1 Star Supporter

Post by wiliam42 » August 15th, 2018, 10:33 am

An interesting discussion. We live on a small complex where only one person has a tourist licence and several people let illegally. In July and August the normal peaceful atmosphere disappears and life can become trying, so much so that it is best to disappear back to England at this time. Does any one know for certain whether tourist licences do actually need renewing.

Shuggie
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Shuggie » August 15th, 2018, 11:47 am

They are renewable every 5 years
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

dsr
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by dsr » August 15th, 2018, 5:23 pm

Can anyone point me to the gospel/bible that says you don't need a licence if only allowing friends and relatives to use your place and you can charge them for doing so? Appeals to me as an alternative to e Tourist Licence.

Boycie
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Boycie » August 16th, 2018, 8:59 am

Don't think there is one. It's just here say. I think if you asked the council they would not agree.
Always on my way to Menorca

Shuggie
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Shuggie » August 16th, 2018, 9:17 am

It was my solicitor that told me about this rule. If you want to clarify it I would talk to your solicitor.