Christmas and New Year

Questions relating to buying or owning a property. Moving to Menorca Sub-forum: moving to, or living and working on Menorca
pc.hc@tesco.net
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Christmas and New Year

Post by pc.hc@tesco.net » November 15th, 2017, 11:50 pm

What is Christmas and New Year like on the island?

MikeC
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Re: Christmas and New Year

Post by MikeC » November 17th, 2017, 9:38 am

Hi, my wife and I did it once (3 years ago). Our apartment is in Coves Noves, adjacent to Arenal. All shops and restaurants in the locality were closed (as we expected) but there were plenty open in the larger towns. As luck would have it, the weather was great. Very sunny and mild but cool, as you'd expect. For us it was perfect. Easy to get round the island for pleasant walks and picnics. Managed Christmas lunch in our apartment with chicken as opposed to turkey (you can find turkey but its difficult). Christmas Day we had champagne on the beach in Arenal in shorts and sweat tops-we saw only 3 people!

We'd have gone this year had it not been for Monarch.....

Cheers

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » November 17th, 2017, 7:56 pm

Christmas is a lot quieter than in the UK. 10 years ago there was no sign of the holiday in shops, but it is slowly being taken up, and now most shops have Christmas decorations up and quite a few restaurants now offer [at a price] Christmas dinner but you need to pre-book.

The Spanish main celebration is on the 6th of Jan, Three kings, which is very worth watching the parades if you go to Mahon or another town on the Island.
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » November 18th, 2017, 12:21 am

We love it! Been every year for the last 15 and honestly couldn't spend a Christmas in the UK now!

We've only experienced one Christmas Day when it rained (but found a bar open to have a festive drink), but usually we have a walk through the woods/along a beach somewhere in the day, with a picnic for lunch, and I cook 'Christmas dinner' at night.

On other nights we head into Es Mercadal or Mahon for a meal and all the towns have Christmas lights and decorations up, so it's definitely festive! During the day, you usually have a good few hours of sunshine (it's light until almost 6pm), so we walk different routes along the Cami De Cavalls, and maybe finish the day with a beer or coffee in Es Castell, Fornells or Sant Climent. I even swam in the sea on Christmas Day a couple of years ago, as it was 23 degrees and the sea was the most crystal clear I'd ever seen it!

Done NYE at Opera in Mahon for the last few years and there's no need to book and pay in advance, you can eat from the standard menu if required, but you'll get the 12 grapes and 'bongs' at midnight, along with a complimentary glass or two of Cava, with no threat of a scrap or youths chucking up outside!

Some of the towns even put on a street party in a marquee with live music, if you're up for it!

I think, following summer, it's our favourite time of year on the island!

Sunseaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sunseaker » November 18th, 2017, 7:29 pm

I wonder if they still do the swim across the harbour of Mahon on Boxing day about lunch time.
I only let him think he's in charge.

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » November 20th, 2017, 2:10 pm

Yes, pretty sure they do :shock:

Don't fancy it myself though, it doesn't really hold the same appeal as a dip in the crystal clear waters of Macarella!

Sue :toasting:

Mirador
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Mirador » November 26th, 2017, 10:54 pm

Your Christmas and New Year sound wonderful. Never been that time of year but you certainly make it sound tempting.

My earliest and latest visits so far are April and October.
Neil

All people have the ability to light up a room, some when they enter and some when they leave.