IPTV Boxes - are they still a thing?

Questions relating to buying or owning a property. Moving to Menorca Sub-forum: moving to, or living and working on Menorca
Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Re: IPTV Boxes - are they still a thing?

Post by Sue Adderley » May 31st, 2019, 2:28 pm

Hi Keef

Do you have Dan's contact details please?

I know of the Taylors, but there's no Dan in the family, as far as I'm aware. However, I have contacted someone called Dan Robert Technology on FB, but he hasn't come back to me yet, so not sure if that's the same Dan you know (confusing :lol: ). Anyway, we're not really ready to go for the full package, with the Sky channels at the mo, as we don't live on the island. But I'd be interested to know whether he offers other packages that would suit us better and we can always upgrade when we're spending more time there.

Cheers

Sue :toasting:

Keefyd
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by Keefyd » May 31st, 2019, 4:54 pm

Hi Sue, that’s the same Dan you have contacted, his name is Dan Robert Taylor. He does do other packages, I’m sure he will be in touch with you shortly.
Lover of everything Menorcan. :jozza:

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » May 31st, 2019, 5:39 pm

Okay thanks Keef!

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » June 12th, 2019, 10:57 am

Just an update on the TV situation.

A week went by and Dan hadn't answered my FB message or email, and his website has expired, so I thought he'd 'done one,' as Jeremy Kyle used to say :lol:

So we went to the Mervi Sony Centre in Alaior and bought an IPTV box, which gives us about 60 English channels (including BBC, ITV etc.). It cost 220 Euros, but that includes 60 Euros for a year's TV subscription, (and we just have to pop into the shop next June to renew it), which doesn't work out too expensive in the grand scheme of things. We fitted the box ourselves; actually, the OH did it, so it must've been easy :lol:

Typically after we'd installed the box, Dan emailed me (with a different email address) to say he doesn't use social media much and has closed his website, as he prefers to get customers by 'word of mouth' :roll: which I found a bit odd, as this was a 'word of mouth' recommendation, but I'm still not sure how are people supposed to contact him. The package he was offering works out more expensive than what we've ended up with anyway, so happy days! :grin:

Sue :toasting:

kieronf
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by kieronf » June 13th, 2019, 8:55 am

Best contact Dan on Whats app - his subscription has changed to a rolling monthly payment, cancel whenever you feel, rather than annual fees. I pay by paypal.

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » June 13th, 2019, 7:34 pm

Hi Kieron

He did eventually email me with details of the package, after we'd been to Mervi and bought their box. However, the only deal he runs now costs 20 Euros per month, plus 165 Euros for the box, so ultimately we're better off paying 60 Euros for the year, as our holidays quite often cross over from one month to another, even if we're only there for a week. This year, for example, would've cost us 140 Euros in subscription fees :shock:

Sue :partyman:

corsario
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by corsario » June 29th, 2019, 3:38 pm

OMG! It seems like I have never been away! All the usual suspects, and more...LOL!
After resisting the idea of TV in my apartment for many years, I gave in this last winter as I am spending more time in Menorca off-season now.
My set-up is that I have internet and a laptop and a TV I bought in a supermarket. In UK I have Virgin TV, the stupid over the top package with 2 Tivo boxes and 350mb fibre broadband. Anyway, with Virgin, they say you can control your Tivo box from anywhere, which you can...you can record and programme...but you can't actually watch it! Thus, I have every channel known to man, in UK...and now I can watch it in Menorca via a device called a Slingbox.
This wee black box sits beside my Tivo, and has a magic eye, so basically you download the app to your laptop, set up the type of remote control you have in UK, and use your mouse to click the remote to get all your channels that you are already paying for. Ok, there's a tiny delay changing channels etc but you have all your home channels plus the ability to record, set up series links and replay recordings, all exactly as if you were in the UK, and with no monthly subscription. All you pay for is the one-off cost of the Slingbox, which is currently about £50 on all the usual sites. Thus, with the Slingbox, you simply tap into your home package when in Menorca, or indeed anywhere with an internet connection. You can also put an app on your mobile phone, and it works slightly differently, with a clunky interface, but is really stable.
Depending on your internet package in menorca (or elsewhere) there is some occasional buffering, but for free TV, using the package you already pay for in UK I find it ideal.

Hope this helps...
Hay que verlo para creerlo!

Every home needs a pantry...

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » June 29th, 2019, 8:05 pm

Hi Corsario

We have Sky at home, so used to get all the channels free in Menorca through a satellite dish on the apartment roof, with an old Sky box and viewing card; until the UK satellites died a few years ago :sad: So, it was either try and get the UK folk in our block to club together for a new massive dish, or go down the internet TV route, and as we didn't have Wi-Fi and it's pretty-much essential these days, we went for the latter option. But as we don't have Virgin cable in the UK, we weren't left with many other options TBH. We know that the Spanish authorities are cracking down on 'illegal' streaming, which I suspect is why there's not many Companies on the island offering packages, but from doing some research I think we probably got one of the lower-cost options available, so we're quite happy considering :smile:

Sue :partyman:

corsario
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by corsario » July 2nd, 2019, 10:19 am

Hi Sue

Good to know you got something at a reasonable price. Just wanted to clarify, you don't have to have Virgin at home, any package will work with Slingbox.

The guy who recently upgraded my internet in Menorca clearly knew about Slingbox, but wasn't offering it himself, presumably because there is no money in it for him, which is fair enough.

I'm not sure if you could class Slingbox as illegal streaming. I am, after all, paying for it in UK, but hopefully the Spanish TV police won't find me...
Hay que verlo para creerlo!

Every home needs a pantry...