S'Algar Hotel Bought

Accommodation & Restaurant info for S'Algar and Cala Alcaufar resort area.
LEESRE1
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

S'Algar Hotel Bought

Post by LEESRE1 » December 17th, 2020, 5:37 pm

I see that the S'Algar hotel and the San Luis have changed hands again.
PortBlue no longer own them I think it is a Swedish company that has bought them and they have undergone a refurbishment I think.

Look forward to seeing them once we can travel again.

Sunseaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: S'Algar Hotel Bought

Post by Sunseaker » December 17th, 2020, 5:40 pm

:grin:
I only let him think he's in charge.

Lowflyer
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by Lowflyer » December 18th, 2020, 6:41 pm

In Menorca, a multinational real estate company is finalizing the purchase of two hotels and three apartment complexes in S'Algar for just over 30 million euros with the aim of modernizing obsolete establishments. It is just the accommodation built half a century ago that in 2015 the founding family of the urbanization sold to a Mallorcan hotel group.
With this operation, most of the hotel squares in S'Algar would pass into the hands of the real estate Stonewegliving, headquartered in Switzerland, which has renovated historic buildings in Madrid and Barcelona and also on the Spanish coast. Now, it has been decided to acquire and renovate five establishments on the island of Menorca.
S'Algar is an urbanization on the coast of Sant Lluís. Despite not having a beach, the Menorcan businessman Gabino Sintes opted to build tourist establishments there in the 1960s, which were the origin of the town. One of these establishments is this hotel, the Hotel San Luis, and also the Hotel S'Algar, on the seafront, currently both 4-star and together with more than 350 rooms.
The founding family sold the two hotels together with 3 apartment complexes to the Port Blue Hotels group in 2015. This October, a company linked to Stoneweg has submitted ten applications for building permits to the City Council of Sant Lluís to renovate these same establishments, which would revalue this tourist center.
In the last four years, Menorca has seen a doubling of the number of superior hotel places. If in 2016 there were a total of 5,016 of four and five stars, in 2020 they increased to 9,395.
Alua Hotels is the management company.....check their website.
Patience is a virtue. (chillout)

Roy.

LEESRE1
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by LEESRE1 » December 19th, 2020, 4:33 pm

Many thanks for this Roy. we have been going to S'Algar since the late 60's and we knew the Sintes family well.

Very interesting read, not sure if the pictures of both hotels and apartments on their web site are mock ups or they have already done some refurbishments.

Lowflyer
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by Lowflyer » December 19th, 2020, 4:54 pm

I have Spanish friends who live in S'Algar they inform me the work on both hotels etc has started and hopefully finished for the summer season......fingers crossed.
Patience is a virtue. (chillout)

Roy.

Rickse28
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by Rickse28 » December 21st, 2020, 9:56 pm

I was initially disappointed when I heard that the S'Algar hotel complex was to be sold. There is always the fear that asset-stripping would follow, poor investment policies instituted, eventually resulting in the land being sold off for other more profitable enterprises. I am not too pessimistic here, however, by what I read. I hope the new owners do just enough to keep the hotel's charm and service levels without spoiling it.
I booked a holiday to Menorca about four years ago - to Port Blue. It was my introduction to the island. I enjoyed my stay in the hotel, with only two niggles. I was mystified by the floor level not being consistent; looking for my allocated room I had to drag my suitcase up three steps, down three steps, then a bit farther on, the same again. I mentioned it to the woman in reception who said it was because the building had been added to piecemeal.
My only other gripe was some prune who had his TV on late at night, proving the walls were a bit thin. I reckon he'd fallen asleep with it going, because by about 1.30am I had had enough and banged on his door. I got no response for 30 seconds, then a muffled "sorry" and it was switched off. That of course happens in any hotel!
I still have a memory of sitting by the pool enjoying the evening entertainment, drinking chilled Estrellas and watching the perfect evening sky turn a darker blue; the stars, planets and a crescent moon rising rising across the heavens, a sense that all was right in the universe... Or maybe I had drunk too many beers! :jozza:

Rickse28
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by Rickse28 » December 21st, 2020, 10:31 pm

Sintes1147.jpg
Bust of Gabino Sintes in the hotel garden - by Rick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rigsby
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Rigsby » January 1st, 2021, 12:08 pm

No mention of Rafalet or los Naranjos on their web site.
I wonder what has happened to them

Maryb

LEESRE1
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by LEESRE1 » January 1st, 2021, 12:19 pm

I don't think Los Naranjos was Port Blue I think this was sold some time ago to someone else.