Il porto 225

Accommodation & Restaurant info Mahon, Es Castell, Cala Mesquida and Es Grau.
Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Il porto 225

Post by Slartibartfast » September 11th, 2017, 7:13 pm

It has good reviews so we thought we would try it last night. Service was very prompt but that may be because we arrived early around 19:30, later on the service slowed noticeably . Aperitif to wet out appetite came with the menu, we decided not to have a starter and just have a main meal plus dessert.

Two of us choose fish which they both enjoyed, I had a steak and my friend had lamb chops. Choosing meat was a big mistake as both my steak and my friends lamb chops were inedible. I struggled to even cut it using a steak knife and when I finally managed, chewing it was near on impossible. My friend had the same problem with his chops.

This is not a cheap place to eat so I was very disappointed and will not be in a hurry to return.
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Re: Il porto 225

Post by Sue Adderley » September 11th, 2017, 8:51 pm

TBH we haven't dined there since the Italian guy who ran it for years went bust and did one :shock: I know it re-opened a couple of years ago and does seem quite busy when we walk by, but we were put off when we tried to get a table for dinner (at about 9.30pm) during our summer hols and the head waiter told us to return in half an hour, despite there being quite a few tables for two free, without reserved signs. We thought it a strange attitude to have, especially as we'd have probably hung around and had a drink at the bar if he'd suggested it :jozza: Perhaps he just didn't like the look of us :lol: or he knew his waiting staff/kitchen couldn't cope with a nearly full restaurant. Needless to say we ended up going to one of our regular haunts and didn't feel we'd missed out!

Sue :toasting:

semh
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Re: Il porto 225

Post by semh » September 12th, 2017, 1:02 pm

Went last week on a recommendation. Apparently it is now run but the team who has Es Pla in Fornells before the fire! The set menu is very similar, lots of choice, three courses for about 18 euros. No problem getting a table despite being during the classic boat regatta. In our view the food was ok, but not brilliant, I had steak and it was good but small. It is the sort of place that's good with a gang, but would not rush back, plenty of better places IMO.