my review......

Accommodation & Restaurant info for the Arenal d'en Castell, Na Macaret, Coves Noves and Port Addaya resort area.
JanSchofield
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Re: my review......

Post by JanSchofield » August 21st, 2009, 8:28 am

ladyrose wrote:Does that mean you ain't coming back Jan? :lol:
Dont be silly Rose :lol: :lol: :lol: I was speaking generally, and anyway, they don't get rid of me that easily.. :lol:
Feels good to be home :ele: :ele:

cropley
2 Star Supporter
2 Star Supporter

Post by cropley » August 22nd, 2009, 11:24 am

Arenal as a resort has changed drastically over the past few years, apart from the 2 hotels it appears to be the bastion of returnees knowing what they going to get and are glad to still be a part of it. We’ve just come back from 2 weeks there doing the same as what we did last summer and likely the same as we’re going to do next summer ! Things do change in the world but lets not forget what we like and give thanks to
- the new visitors who stop on the top road, look at the Bay and say Wow because it is
- the bay and the beach itself
- for not having to walk on stones going into the sea
- the growing number of Spanish people compared to English on the beach who know how to holiday and leave the beach how it is found
- to the people who clear the beach every morning long before I wake up
- to the bloke who drives that boat thing with the net on collecting debris from the water
- to the bloke on the tractor who flattens the beach
- to Smithys restaurant – good food, banter and value
- to the restaurant Sa Gavinia – Kate and Fernando - great steaks
- to Natcho at the restaurant Flamingos in Coves Novas well worth the walk from downtown Arenal
- to the Red bar on the front where under the stars by the beach you could be anywhere in the world
- to the swimmng pools at the Isla and the Mirador well worth the cost of a coffee or ice cream
- to Ken, Nigel, George, Kelly, Natt etc etc at the Bar 51 for putting up with all of us with nothing better to do late on – more like the ‘Cheers’ bar from Boston than the Irish, - and you never have to wait to get a drink
- to the women at the Romani’s who make great bread
- to the Spanish lady in the paper shop who takes our 20No 10c coins every day for the newspaper along with my ‘Lo siento’ and her ‘no problemo’ – even though she must need a fork lift to do her banking
- to Valerie and Raf for all there help and more importantly their time and company – ‘from the arepar to beyond’
- to my rusty bbq and to those who visited her
- to them Poppy Car people who never let you down
We all travel 1000 miles and are treated like royalty
- Gracias y hasta la proxima

Sunseaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sunseaker » August 22nd, 2009, 5:04 pm

:razz: How lovely to read your report, thank you :toasting:
I only let him think he's in charge.

bernard maxwell
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by bernard maxwell » August 22nd, 2009, 7:20 pm

Brilliant summary as to why we keep coming back. Although we are Son Parcudlians the principle is the same. There is something about Menorca, despite all the changes, that just draws you back. It may be more expensive and there may not be as many bars and restaurants (just ban all inclusive holiday complexes..are you listening Menorca Tourist Board? and the problem is solved) but the place has something that is hard to describe. Like many contributors we came in 1995 when our children were very young and year after year we have come back to meet with friends. Strange thing is our kids now 22 19 and 17 take it all for granted. They are not interested when I tell them that I was lucky to go to Rhyl. Lets hope the Spanish realise they probably need to invest or support local business whilst at the same time not turning the place into "everywhere else". This time next week we will be in New York for a special anniversary but we cannot help feel that we should be in Son Parc at BJ's with Sophie and Andreas but at least we have already booked for August 2010. Can't wait let's hope nothing has changed!.

scottyboy
2 Star Supporter
2 Star Supporter

Post by scottyboy » August 23rd, 2009, 9:49 am

ladyrose wrote:
bigal29 wrote:It would help if the english residents spoke Spanish.
And who is to say we don't :???:
he probably said it because the slang word for foreigner is GUIRI and not GIDDY thats all.Doesn't matter anyway , it used to annoy me when i worked for someone and had to sell them it at a different price.....i did however find that it was something done to tourists and non spanish speaking residents.I'm not saying in anyway that you don't speak spanish just because you don't know one word ladyrose and this post hopefully doesn't sound like i'm having a go at you as i am not.it's just that bigal 29s post has highlighted a problem on the island that really gets my goat.
Why does the majority of people in the uk spend all their time moaning about people coming to the uk and not learning the language when ultimately we tend to be the worst country for moving abroad and not learning the host countries language , or embracing their culture.I had more spanish/menorcan friends than i did ex pats(probably due to the fact that they were too lazy to learn another language and normally consisted of hoora henrys who thought living on the med was an act that awarded you a higher status than those who holidayed there).I spent the first 3 years not just learning spanish but also some catalan and menorcan...This effort i feel allowed me to converse with the locals and i feel i was treated far better than when i first arrived with a phrase book and high hopes.

carben
7 Star supporter
7 Star supporter

Post by carben » August 23rd, 2009, 7:49 pm

You are so right Scottyboy. I want to live in Menorca and have been giving it great thought these last few months. I wouldn't dream of moving there without learning or speaking some Spanish. I always try some Spanish when I visit even though it's not brilliant. I've been learning it for years but I think you have to live there to pick it up quickly and to learn pronunciation.
I would not expect the island/balearics to do me any favours e.g providing me with accomodation, providing only english speaking schools for my children (I haven't got any but you know what I mean), giving any financial support etc. I don't get that in England, I wouldn't expect it there. I may receive some entitlement because of EU regulations and the fact that I've worked here for the last 37 years.
It's all about assimilation, leaving one culture for another, showing respect, not trying to take over etc. I have started to think how the Minorcan people may feel when we go and live there, do they just tollerate us? do they want us there? what would happen "come the revolution"? We're all happy when everything in the garden is rosy but what happens when the local turn against us?
:@: :@: :@: :@: :@: :@: :@: :@: :@: :@: :@: :@: :@: :@: :@: :@: :@: :@: :@: :@: :@: :@: :@: :@: :@: :@: :@: :@:

ladyrose

Post by ladyrose » August 23rd, 2009, 10:00 pm

GUIRI as far as I am aware is the word that is used in Cuitadella area (Ithink spelling)
as you will probably know ,a lot of slang lingo here is different between Cuitadella and Mahon or Alaior.
But GIDDY is defiantly the word I had intended. :smile:
I do however agree with the other points that you have made here completely.
But if you come here to live and you don't have the basics you miss out on so much.

scottyboy
2 Star Supporter
2 Star Supporter

Post by scottyboy » August 24th, 2009, 7:12 pm

ladyrose wrote:GUIRI as far as I am aware is the word that is used in Cuitadella area (Ithink spelling)
as you will probably know ,a lot of slang lingo here is different between Cuitadella and Mahon or Alaior.
But GIDDY is defiantly the word I had intended. :smile:
I do however agree with the other points that you have made here completely.
But if you come here to live and you don't have the basics you miss out on so much.
I stand corrected Ladyrose.Again the post was not in anyway meant to be against you ,just trying to figure out what the other poster was getting at.I never new there was another variation on Guiri.Are you sure they weren't referring to you after a couple of pomadas?.I know i'm Giddy after a couple.
I did go on a bit of a rant but it is something that really bothers me.I still know people out there that have lived there for over a decade and still can't manage a simple conversation in Spanish ...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

scottyboy
2 Star Supporter
2 Star Supporter

Post by scottyboy » August 24th, 2009, 7:14 pm

[quote="carben"]You are so right Scottyboy. I want to live in Menorca and have been giving it great thought these last few months. I wouldn't dream of moving there without learning or speaking some Spanish. quote]

Go for it.As long as you have basics the rest will come through living there.....good luck if you do

carben
7 Star supporter
7 Star supporter

Post by carben » August 24th, 2009, 8:55 pm

Thanks Scottyboy. We're going to look at properties when we go in September, we picked some out in May, I hope the price has come down a bit!!!! :lol: !!!!!!!