New one-way system in the port of Mahon

Any general questions, tips or information, best beaches, great days and nights out in Menorca.
kieronf
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

New one-way system in the port of Mahon

Post by kieronf » June 12th, 2020, 1:34 pm

There is a new one-way traffic system now in operation along the port of Mahon. Traffic drive along the port from the Carrer de Corea end (the next roundabout into town from Rusty) - the road is now one way with parking, nose in on the right hand side and at the bottom of the hill you can turn left along the port or right, as before to Cala Figuera. Traffic entering the port road from the port roundabout end can only progress as far as Pedro's boats (next to the gin distillery) - a new mini-roundabout has been installed for traffic to turn and return the way they came.

The traffic lane nearest to all the shops and restaurants has been painted grey to distinguish it from the (now single direction) roadway - this is the new pedestrian walkway. The old pavement is to be given over to businesses to extend their terraces right out to the edge of the pavement in order to increase the number of tables, this is to counter the restrictions introduced as a result of the emergency powers.

Almost 90% of businesses object to the plan as it means that traffic unable to find a parking space now has to travel all the way back around the outskirts of Mahon to start another lap of the port road - madness. It is here to stay though.

Shuggie
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Re: New one-way system in the port of Mahon

Post by Shuggie » June 12th, 2020, 2:18 pm

Was down there this morning and it’s absolutely nuts. If you have a mooring along the new one way stretch there is no way you can get to your boat to drop off people or supplies. They have also taken away a lot of parking spaces at the top of the lift besides the Way, so where do you park. Also the parking that used to be along the road side at Cala Figuera has gone. Total waste of money and the vast majority of restaurants and bars don’t want it. Why extend the terraces when nobody is going to be here this summer and the locals that are here don’t have jobs or money to spend.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

Shuggie
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Shuggie » June 12th, 2020, 2:25 pm

And Es Castell have announced they are closing the square to traffic......another fantastic idea :???: :???: :roll:
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

Sunseaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sunseaker » June 12th, 2020, 6:16 pm

:roll:
I only let him think he's in charge.

peterread543@bt
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by peterread543@bt » June 12th, 2020, 8:27 pm

Sounds as tho the council have got the situation under control, it sounds like here. Our council closed the local tip, everyone off work so people clear out all there old unwanted rubbish. Then they are amazed and horrified people FLY TIP . You drive in drop the rubbish off and drive away, no one else is involved but the first thing they closed is the tip !!!! IS IT ME!!!!! WE PAY A LOT OF MONEY TO BE TREATED LIKE THIS !!
pete

Tigipaul
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Tigipaul » June 12th, 2020, 8:38 pm

Shuggie ,can't understand about the Square in Es Castell as I've never really noticed that much traffic in first place around there .
Is there some point to this ??🤔 So what happens about the police station there ,they can't get to it or are they allowed .
Paul

kieronf
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by kieronf » June 23rd, 2020, 10:37 am

After considerable opposition the new system is being cancelled, or rather, postponed until October when it will be reintroduced, but with traffic flowing the other way - what a complete farce - this from the local paper...............

The Maó City Council and the merchants of the port have signed an agreement for this summer, which resolves the confrontation and postpones the traffic reorganization plan until the month of October. This pact will be presented publicly this afternoon, with the signature between the mayor and business representatives of the three sections into which the port is divided.

The City Council has accepted that this summer, given the economic consequences of the coronavirus pandemic, it is not the best time to carry out its management plan. That is why it accepts that from the Colàrsega to the Reynés slope it is two-way and that only the one-way direction between this point and the Korean slope is maintained, but in the opposite direction to the current one, that is, vehicles can enter the Colàrsega and exit down the slope of Cala Figuera. The change and the unique direction of descent of Cuesta Corea is maintained.

Change applies this week

The management of the agreement has been carried out over the weekend between some representatives of the port's businesses and the mayor, Héctor Pons. It was closed yesterday afternoon in a document, agreed by both parties.

The City Council's commitment is that the double sense of circulation will be recovered in a few days, and that this week it will be operational again. The majority of merchants have maintained a very critical position on the performance of the municipal government team by executing a series of changes without consensus with the businessmen.

The municipal plan has meant the placement of physical elements such as the "turtles" to reserve the pedestrian area, and the painting of the different lanes

peterread543@bt
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by peterread543@bt » June 23rd, 2020, 3:44 pm

Our council is as bad, went to town this morning they have closed off our main road through the town, to allow for one way pedestrianisation. I have never seen so many signs and cones and barriers. If they had looked, there were very few people in town, totally unnecessary. I go through my life shaking my head and thinking IS IT ME!!!!!
pete

Sunseaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sunseaker » June 23rd, 2020, 4:06 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Not just you, with everything that's going on at the moment I too am for ever shaking my head :roll:
I only let him think he's in charge.

watta
Support Team
Support Team

Post by watta » June 23rd, 2020, 5:49 pm

...me too as well. :roll: :roll:

Alan
:cool:
:supz: :dream: :c9: :finga:

Not this year now, but next, hopefully.