Travel insurance

Any general questions, tips or information, best beaches, great days and nights out in Menorca.
Richard21
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Travel insurance

Post by Richard21 » May 24th, 2020, 12:41 pm

Does anyone know of any companies that are selling travel insurance at the moment?I

Reason for asking is that, in January this year when we booked our flights for 3rd of July, we had an annual policy.
This expired in early May and because of covid restrictions we were unable to renew.
Wasn't too bothered because we were certain that the flights wouldn't be taking off so would be refunded by either air company or credit card company for flight cancellation.
Now that they say the flights are going ahead, if we don't have any insurance cover we would have to cancel and certainly lose all costs
Love the life you live.....

watta
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Travel insurance

Post by watta » May 24th, 2020, 1:58 pm

Hi, and none as far as I am aware. Just read this article, and it all revolves around what the GOV UK stipulates. Am afraid that you may have to cancel/defer your flights, as currently Mahon Airport under the following applies:-

http://aena.mobi/m/en/menorca-airport/menorca.html

https://www.moneysupermarket.com/travel ... ronavirus/

Things could change quickly over the coming weeks, but have my doubts.

Best of luck and stay safe.

Alan
:cool:
:supz: :dream: :c9: :finga:

Not this year now, but next, hopefully.

dream.island
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by dream.island » May 24th, 2020, 3:59 pm

Hi, I started a post in flights regarding gov.uk advice and insurance policies.

As I understand it, if gov.uk advice remains at only essential travel and you ignore it and travel, your whole policy becomes invalid.

Therefore unless the gov.uk changes it’s travel advice you still can’t travel abroad - unless you are happy to do so uninsured.

Richard21
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Richard21 » May 24th, 2020, 6:46 pm

Hi Alan, sorry don't really understand your reply also couldn't open links. But can you or someone else explain to me that if government say only essential travel, how can a charter flight leave, so therefore doesn't the air company cancel.
Also not really bothered about whether policies would cover covid or not, but obviously would want insurance for all other usual things is accident , theft etc.
So going back to OP, is it correct there are no companies selling travel insurance at the moment.

davethebirder
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by davethebirder » May 24th, 2020, 8:10 pm

Richard, see posts in other forums on this site (i.e. Flights, General Chat). The only reasons why the airline companies are selling flights/holidays is to get some income. If they cannot fly, they will ask you to book another in the future or take a voucher. Wait until the UK and Spanish authorities give permission to travel and the airlines have re-mobilised their aeroplanes, then book your holiday.

There doesn't appear to be any travel insurance on sale at the moment

Dave

watta
Support Team
Support Team

Post by watta » May 24th, 2020, 8:33 pm

Sorry Richard, but tried to explain to you and by the way my links do work properly. As members have stated, companies that take money from the public this now are purely getting to gain income. Peeps must wait until the authorities give the go ahead to book and travel, etc.. This is my view of things in this country.

Alan

Richard21
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Richard21 » May 24th, 2020, 8:41 pm

Hi Dave, holiday accommodation already booked, we booked it before we even left last year.As I said in OP we then booked flights in Jan under a annual insurance policy, but policy expired in May but because of restrictions we were unable to renew. Wasn't concerned cos just thought if Jet2 cancel flights for 3rd July will either get a refund from them,or card company for flight cost.
Now Jet2 have said flights resume 1st July, Spain have said International tourism from July(but no actual date in July) so now we are thinking those flights are probably going, and the thing that could stop us being on them is having no insurance.

Richard21
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Richard21 » May 24th, 2020, 8:51 pm

Hi Alan ,realise about what airlines do, and as for the links it's probably this tablet am using at mo. Just got this feeling that with all these different government comments from both here and Spain that after resigning ourselves that we were not going on hold this year, we will now start trying to get everything together for 3rd July. Then probably get knock back again. But insurance is the thing we are struggling at the moment.

watta
Support Team
Support Team

Post by watta » May 24th, 2020, 8:57 pm

Well Richard, beware of Jet2 and their refunds, if your flights are cancelled. I am currently still waiting on full refunds, albeit I received this weekend a percentage of the total outlay. However, no email of a breakdown and cannot contact them either by email or phone, as they answer machine message stated they are only dealing with departure dates on a surname alphabetical basis. I have a single trip Policy, but am in a 'catch 22' situation as whether to cancel or continue until it expires next month. :roll:

Alan

Richard21
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Richard21 » May 24th, 2020, 9:13 pm

I learnt my lesson a few years ago about problems with airline refunds,which is why after saying I would never have credit cards I got one to solely use for flight booking or anything else that I think could be a problem down the line.