Moving to Menorca

Any general questions, tips or information, best beaches, great days and nights out in Menorca.
Shaun2904

Moving to Menorca

Post by Shaun2904 » September 18th, 2019, 2:19 pm

HHoping to get some valuable advice here.
We’re a young family hoping to make the move to Menorca to achieve a relaxing and laidback lifestyle.

Concerns

We have 3 children 12,9,4 how easy is it to get into the schools and will they accept our children?
Can I own my own minibus /taxi and run a private minicab?
Can we do all the paperwork before we arrive in Menorca to become a resident ?
Apart from taxes which I’m told are £1000-1300 per year are there any other money concerns if I wont have a mortgage?

Any feedback would greatly be appreciated

I will seek more advice but for now this will get me stated.
Thank you
Shaun

Shuggie
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Re: Moving to Menorca

Post by Shuggie » September 19th, 2019, 6:47 pm

You will need to be in Menorca to get residency. You will also need approx €5500 in both your bank accounts (not sure if you’ll need more if you have kids coming with you). You will also need private medical insurance for all of you, unless you both start paying into the system by being self employed or employed. Residencia is a relatively simple process if you have all the right boxes ticked. A good friend of mine helped me as they speak Spanish/Catalan, best to use a solicitor if you are in doubt. You will need to own a property here or have proof of a residential tenancy agreement for Residencia.

Not sure about kids getting into school but I’m pretty sure they won’t make any concession or help them if they don’t speak the lingo. That could be a big hurdle.

Tax, I presume you mean council tax. It depends where you live, size of property, which local council you are in, just to many variables to answer.

There are no private hire taxis in menorca as there are in the U.K. It all seems to be run by a monopoly.

I hope that doesn’t all sound negative but unless you can turn up, both start working and paying into the system, and the whole family has a very good grasp of Spanish or Catalan, I think the dream might be a nightmare.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

maycontainuts
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by maycontainuts » September 19th, 2019, 10:05 pm

very wise advice from Shuggie. be very very cautious.

jimmyhorse
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by jimmyhorse » September 19th, 2019, 10:16 pm

I understand the taxi licenses are limited in number, and there's a waiting list some years long to get one. That's hear say though.

kieronf
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by kieronf » September 20th, 2019, 12:28 pm

I think it best if you break this down into some component parts -

Schooling -
There are plenty of families that make the move with young, school-age children. I've not heard of anyone encountering any problems in getting their children into local schools, but you need to appreciate that they do not speak English in schools - either your kids will need some grounding in the local language or they will have to get up to speed once they are here - plenty have done it before, kids soak up new languages likes sponges. If nobody with kids responds, try joining Expats Menorca on facebook and you will get more info.

Housing -
When you first arrive you will need to have a rental already secured. Don't leave it until you get here, again, there are plenty of forums where you can get rental information.

Residency-
Shuggie has covered that, but before you can do anything here you will need what is called an NIE number, it's a bit like a glorified NI number but it is used here to identify you in terms of financial transactions, opening bank accounts etc - it is vital that you have one asap. You can ask around for a recommended local solicitor who can obtain the NIE for you ahead of your arrival (there is a post on here about giving a solicitor Power of Attorney if you wanted bank accounts opening, utilities transferred to your name etc etc)

Working-
There are no private cabs. Every cab is operated by a registered, licenced company and the cars are leased to the drivers who are themselves licensed having been checked and vetted - there is a considerable waiting list and you wouldn't get a look in without being fluent in the local language. I don't want to burst the bubble, but in terms of employment I would have to say that option is a non-starter.

Healthcare-
If you work you are able to contribute to the local healthcare system. If you do not work you will require private healthcare insurance in order to access the private healthcare system. For residency application purposes your policy must be fully comp - there are some policies that have low monthly payments but you can pay for additional services as and when you use them - it's called co-payments and is a no-no for residency.

Taxation-
Once you have been living here (not a legal resident) for 183 days you are deemed a fiscal resident of Spain and your global assets have to be declared to the local tax authorities. That doesn't mean for a second that you will pay more tax, but it is a legal requirement. If you live here, you pay taxes, the same as anywhere else. Non-residents pay taxes, residents pay different taxes, local town hall taxes are the same as the community charge in the UK

Overall the cost of living in menorca is not that different from the UK. Some things are cheaper, some things more expensive and in my experience it balances out to much the same. If you have the money, menorca is a fantastic place to live, but for many their income is seriously affected by the fluctuating exchange rate and the recent political uncertainty has affected quite a few. Most people will agree that the island is a fantastic place to live if you have the money, but its a hard place to make money. Employment is seasonal (tourism and trades) and expat-centric job opportunities where you can get by without the language are few and far between.

Research, research, research is the key - I find Rightmove Menorca a good source of properties to buy and rent - final piece of advice - keep asking. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask....................

Shuggie
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Shuggie » September 20th, 2019, 1:39 pm

Here's an example of the type of administration/bureaucracy you are up against.

Today I went to what I would describe as the ministry of agriculture as i need to get license and permission to keep horses on my land at the house. I went with every piece of legal paperwork I thought I might need and my friend who speaks the lingo. First visit at 9:15 to be told the person we need to see is not in until 12:00. Back at 12:00 and after much discussion and shuffling of paperwork it comes to light that I need a piece of paper from the notories office confirming I live of rustic land, even though I took the deeds of the house with me and they viewed the house online from a satellite image. So monday I'm off to see the notary in mahon, and then back to agricultural office.

They do love there admin.......all seems to be 'jobs for the boys'
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

kieronf
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by kieronf » September 20th, 2019, 4:24 pm

And their rubber stamps - it ain't legal until it has three stamps on it..............