IPTV Boxes - are they still a thing?

Questions relating to buying or owning a property. Moving to Menorca Sub-forum: moving to, or living and working on Menorca
corsario
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Re: IPTV Boxes - are they still a thing?

Post by corsario » March 26th, 2020, 2:47 pm

I have to question the idea that any "streaming" is illegal.
The setup I use simply sends me the stuff I am already paying for by subscription in UK. My Virgin package includes Sky, netflix iPlayer YouTube etc.
My internet is delivered in menorca by line-of sight and currently runs about 12-14mb. The downside is that to keep the price lower I have to pay on a 12 month basis, so i can't readily switch it on and off, depending on when I am out there.
I elected for my internet package in Menorca based on wanting a good service for email etc and the fact I get TV is a bonus as I would be paying for the service anyway. Obviously, i have no idea when i will get back to the island, albeit i have flights for May and hope that i might use them then.
It's just "the cost of doing business" and I am happy that as I spent almost 5 months in Menorca last year, I am getting full value from my UK Virgin package.
Hay que verlo para creerlo!

Every home needs a pantry...

kieronf
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by kieronf » March 26th, 2020, 3:11 pm

corsario wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 2:47 pm
I have to question the idea that any "streaming" is illegal.
The setup I use simply sends me the stuff I am already paying for by subscription in UK. My Virgin package includes Sky, netflix iPlayer YouTube etc.
My internet is delivered in menorca by line-of sight and currently runs about 12-14mb. The downside is that to keep the price lower I have to pay on a 12 month basis, so i can't readily switch it on and off, depending on when I am out there.
I elected for my internet package in Menorca based on wanting a good service for email etc and the fact I get TV is a bonus as I would be paying for the service anyway. Obviously, i have no idea when i will get back to the island, albeit i have flights for May and hope that i might use them then.
It's just "the cost of doing business" and I am happy that as I spent almost 5 months in Menorca last year, I am getting full value from my UK Virgin package.
Streaming subscription only content - ie Sky, is illegal unless you are a subscriber - which clearly you are.

corsario
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by corsario » March 26th, 2020, 3:20 pm

Thanks, Kieronf
That just clarified what I was meaning. I am a subscriber, so not illegal.
That reinforces my view that using your UK subscription service is the best option...cheap and legal and utilises the service you already pay for.
Hay que verlo para creerlo!

Every home needs a pantry...

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » April 2nd, 2020, 7:05 pm

corsario wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 3:20 pm
Thanks, Kieronf
That just clarified what I was meaning. I am a subscriber, so not illegal.
Im not sure it is legal subscriber or not. Sky pay for a licence programs to be shown in the UK only. So I believe that streaming content for consumption in Menorca which is only licenced in the UK is not legal.

I must admit that IANAL and the fact that it is/may be illegal would not and did not stop me in any way 😂

Just carry on regardless.
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)