Holiday apartment rental crackdown

Any general questions, tips or information, best beaches, great days and nights out in Menorca.
woodhouse
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Holiday apartment rental crackdown

Post by woodhouse » May 17th, 2019, 8:45 am

What has happened to all the holiday apartments since the draconian ban? A quick look on homeaway (formally owners abroad) holiday lettings and Airbnb is coming up with next to nothing. There used to be hundreds to choose from. I know a lot of people relied on a few weeks rental to cover some of the cost of their properties so I guess they will not be happy now authorities are clamping down on private rentals. I would guess this will also have a big impact on bars and restaurants as people staying in apartments etc are the very customers they are reliant on for business.

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Holiday apartment rental crackdown

Post by Slartibartfast » May 17th, 2019, 10:05 am

AFAIK none of the villa letting company's/agencies will accept an advert without proof of a tourist licence, hence the absence of property. In one way I can understand that the Island council want all property offered to be of a high standard and safe for holidaymakers.

But I believe after going to the very early meeting about the implementing of tourist licences some ideas were little thought through, and in reality were unworkable, and some parties on the Island wanted it to be made difficult to obtain one. Some interested parties were calling for a complete ban on "Private holiday rentals"

I think this will have an averse effect on other supply companies, the more people are pushed into hotels the less is actually spent on the Island.
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

Keefyd
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by Keefyd » May 17th, 2019, 11:44 am

For those of us who have complied and persevered with the requirement of obtaining a tourist licence, the whole experience and costs involved have been a nightmare. They have not made it easy at all. Having applied in September 2018, we still don’t have our licence in place, due to unbelievable levels of bureaucracy.
Lover of everything Menorcan. :jozza:

Shuggie
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Shuggie » May 17th, 2019, 12:29 pm

It is still possible to list property on some (airbnb) portals without a tourist licence but the Spanish tax authorities have requested these portals disclose all bookings and their value. In the past owners were willing to take the risk and advertise as there very little enforcement, but now the taxman is clamping down the risk is just to high. There is talk of the rules being relaxed but I'm sure that will only happen after the island has started to suffer financially.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

semh
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by semh » May 18th, 2019, 8:46 am

We spent a considerable amount of time and expense getting all the relevant paper work in order to obtain our license, only for the Counsell to declare the zoning and guess what! Our house is outside the tourist zones. So we have just stopped letting. Such a shame but what with the eco tax and quarterly tax declarations it makes letting marginal anyway without charging families a fortune.

If there is a change of heart following the elections we may reconsider. But not sure we can be bothered.

woodhouse
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by woodhouse » May 18th, 2019, 11:05 am

It does seem crazy to try and drive everyone into all inclusive hotels. People’s holiday habits have changed and if there is no provision for what many people want nowadays they will go elsewhere and the island will suffer

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » May 18th, 2019, 12:27 pm

It may seem crazy but ....... ASHOME [Asociación Hotelera de Menorca] has a very powerful and loud voice.

corsario
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by corsario » June 29th, 2019, 4:28 pm

My tuppence worth...
I investigated getting a tourist licence, my communidad agreed to lettings, I gave up.
In years gone by I would have hosted maybe 15 families over the Summer, now none...and I am only one of many in my area. The net result is that the local bars and restaurants will suffer badly...and maybe then the authorities will realise that to kow-tow to the hoteliers is a bad idea...and by then the damage may be irreparable.

Me, I'm not bothered really as I never made more than pocket-money, but the lack of accommodation for families wishing to be self-catering will have a bad effect on the island generally.
A past customer told me recently that since my place was no longer available she had started to look for 2020 already...and found a place nearby immediately...but i know for a fact that place has no licence.

On a brighter note, it means I can stay longer, and thus support the local bars more intensively then before! (Hic!)
Hay que verlo para creerlo!

Every home needs a pantry...

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » July 2nd, 2019, 10:53 am

corsario wrote:
June 29th, 2019, 4:28 pm
On a brighter note, it means I can stay longer, and thus support the local bars more intensively then before! (Hic!)
:toasting: :jozza: :partyman: :lol:

woodhouse
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by woodhouse » July 9th, 2019, 8:54 am

I hear now that they are even checking up on the relatives, only parents and and siblings of the owner may stop and proof of the relationship must be provided!