Urgent residency update

Questions relating to buying or owning a property. Moving to Menorca Sub-forum: moving to, or living and working on Menorca
kieronf
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Urgent residency update

Post by kieronf » March 18th, 2019, 3:59 pm

I've just been this morning to complete my residency application. I used Belen Segui to double-check everything and she kindly had her wonderful secretary accompany us to make sure all went well. Before we left for the police station Belen mentioned that the police had notified her that they would not be processing residency applications after 29th March and this was confirmed to us by the police themselves. No reason was given - but this is Spain, they do what they want. If you have plans to apply for residency then I strongly recommend that you get a move on and get it done before 29th March..............

PeterV
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Re: Urgent residency update

Post by PeterV » March 18th, 2019, 11:35 pm

I read in The Telegraph that Spain are understood to be preparing to allow existing U.K. home owners to maintain the same rights as EU nationals on the basis of no deal.

I presume the date you heard from the police is tied to the leave deadline, so will be restarted once the date has been extended.

kieronf
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by kieronf » March 19th, 2019, 10:33 am

It does seem arbitrary and irrational given the uncertainty over the actual Brexit timeframe, however, they were adamant - as only Spanish bureaucracy can be, that no more residency applications will be accepted after 29th march. I can only presume that this decision is based on the fact that, in official terms, the 29th is still the agreed date and until they are told otherwise, that is the date they are working to.

Keefyd
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by Keefyd » March 20th, 2019, 11:06 am

PeterV wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 11:35 pm
I read in The Telegraph that Spain are understood to be preparing to allow existing U.K. home owners to maintain the same rights as EU nationals on the basis of no deal.

I presume the date you heard from the police is tied to the leave deadline, so will be restarted once the date has been extended.
Did the article mention whether the income tax will remain at 19%, or if it will move to 24%, as is currently the case for non EU countries?
Lover of everything Menorcan. :jozza:

PeterV
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by PeterV » March 21st, 2019, 9:45 pm

The article actually said it was 49% for non-EU nationals. If it’s an increase of 5%, that doesn’t really seem much of an issue.

The article said this was an outstanding point of negotiation in the event of no deal.

PeterV
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by PeterV » March 21st, 2019, 9:53 pm

I’ve just read the article again and it says up to 49%. France is 49%, so I’ll take your word that it’s 24% for Spain.

Keefyd
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by Keefyd » March 21st, 2019, 11:17 pm

Yes, it’s 24% for Non EU residents who have property in Spain.
Lover of everything Menorcan. :jozza: