Some Advice Please RE: Driving to Menorca with our lovely dog

Any general questions, tips or information, best beaches, great days and nights out in Menorca.
r0ger9

Some Advice Please RE: Driving to Menorca with our lovely dog

Post by r0ger9 » January 4th, 2019, 5:47 pm

Hello, I've been lurking a lot on this forum & find that everybody on here as good advice and are a very helpful and welcoming community, and this is my first post.
We recently bought a place in the Cala en Porter area and have since hit many obstacles about how to get our dog over with us (we can't leave him behind this time as the people we trust aren't available, but moreover we would be away too long anyway.
To cut a very long story short, we tried ways but the options just weren't there and I eventually (inspired by Shuggie's rod trip) decided that I'd get the chunnel train to Calais and drive to Barcelona.
However, I'm now petrified that poor Toby will get seized and put down by the French authorities as he fits into their broad description of 'banned dogs'.
:jaw_drop:
What I'm trying desperately to find out is can I bring him with me if I'm only driving through France? As all their data seems to suggest that it is aimed at either holidaying in France or importing the dog to France, but I'll be doing neither.
He's not a dangerous dog (as all dog owners will agree, an aggressive or dangerous dog is usually more to do with the owner and how the dog is raised).
For clarification, he's a Staffordshire Bull Terrier crossed with an Olde Victorian Bulldogge.
I would attach a picture, but I cant see how to do that?
Any wise advice you may have about getting through France or ability to put my mind at rest would be gratefully received & appreciated.
Best regards,
r0ger9

Shuggie
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Re: Some Advice Please RE: Driving to Menorca with our lovely dog

Post by Shuggie » January 4th, 2019, 6:07 pm

Is this breed of dog allowed in Spain? As far as driving through France is concerned, I wouldn’t be to worried. There are loads of parking areas off the main routes that are not service areas but more picnick areas. If you were making the journey during winter these areas will be very quiet and you be fine to let the dog out to do his business. It’s possible, with 2 of you, to drive from the tunnel to Barcelona in a day or better still by cover of darkness if you are that concerned.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » January 4th, 2019, 6:12 pm

Hi and welcome to MenorcaTalk. My first thought was have you contacted the French consulate https://uk.ambafrance.org/Contact-us-21735 and ask for clarification on the rules, if anyone knows they will.

The only other way would be to fly which will cost £££'s each way. As far as I know there are now direct flights now that Monarch has gone that will transport pets but you would have to contact each airline. You could also if you can find a carrier, fly to Barcelona and then Iberia or the ferry to Mahon. Either way its going to cost.
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

carben
7 Star supporter
7 Star supporter

Post by carben » January 4th, 2019, 10:02 pm

My friend takes her two dogs, not on any dangerous lists, to France every year in the summer. They are chipped and see a vet in the UK before they set off to get their pets passport and to have their boosters if needed. They have to see a vet in France before they travel back to UK too.

Just looked online and this it what it says :-

What you must do to take your dog or cat abroad

1.The pet must microchipped.
2.Vaccinated against rabies (and kept fully up to date with boosters)
3.Have a pet passport issued by your veterinary surgeon.
4.Have at least a 3 week interval to have elapsed from the date of initial rabies vaccination before travel.

Also this website has information https://www.timeforpawsblog.co.uk/resou ... og-abroad/

PS. The rules may change come March!!!!!!!!!!!!

r0ger9

Post by r0ger9 » January 4th, 2019, 11:56 pm

Thanks all for your suggestions.
I did look at flights initially, however those that will fly your dog (the kind that would have to go in the hold) like BA & Iberia won't take anything that is a type of bull breed.
We want to be there in March as the grandchildren are coming for Easter holidays in April and again for the summer holidays so obviously we'd like to get the house ready - like getting in single beds, sorting the curtains, crockery etc.
(If I'm honest though I'd love to just spend a nice chunk of time there, as the whole island just 'feels' good - if that makes sense?)
So after we couldn't organise flights I tried the ferry idea with thinking I could book the 'dog friendly cabin' advertised - but ultimately I could only do it as a ferry to Le Havre coming in and on leaving getting a ferry from Santander with costs being (including the Barcelona to Mahon ferry with cabin) well over a grand & still meant driving right through France on the way in and across Spain on the way back anyway.
With regard to legality as a breed in Spain- he's OK as long as I ensure certain conditions are met. BUT with France, they would accept him if he was a registered pedigree Staffie - but he's a not, he's a lovely natured chunky cross.
He will have his Pet Travel Passport, and he's micro-chipped, neutered and all shots and boosters will up to date and working the law.
I did try the French consulate but I eventually got put through to desk where the line rang for about 15mins until the killed the call. However their rules talk about dogs whose general description fits mine and then includes the terms Staffordshire Terrier too although I will look for clarity if I can.
Shuggie, I'd decided that if I can't get anything definitive- I'll do what you suggested and try to get into Spain in the one day - although unfortunately 'she who must be obeyed' refuses to drive a car.
You never know, I could use it as the perfect reason to refuse to go back :smile:

Shuggie
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Shuggie » January 5th, 2019, 9:26 am

When I first started planning the journey I looked at every option possible. Ferry to Santander/Bilbao was an option but took 24hrs and there was no guarantee of getting a dog friendly cabin and cost was high. Flights at the time, with monarch, cost £700 per dog one way. The best and cheapest route, in my opinion is, tunnel>Reims>Dijon>Lyon>Barcelona, all on the toll roads. I was really nervous about the first trip but after 3 years of return trips, it’s a doddle. The dog only has to go through passport control on the way back into the uk, and you need to see a vet for worming treatment before you travel. I use the vet in Es Castell the day before we get the ferry. The cost for the journey I estimate at around £700 one way, but that is from Scotland with 2 overnights. I did the drive by myself last summer as the wife needed to be in the U.K. for her horses and found it easier than expected.

You will also want to go to your vet and get the Canileish vaccine, and guess what, it’s not cheap. This is a vaccine for leishmaniasis, which is not good for dogs.

Next October we are going to take it to another level......drive with 2 horses. That is going to take a little more planning :cry:
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

bini-lizard
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by bini-lizard » January 5th, 2019, 9:34 am

We always have rescue Staffies and Staffie-cross dogs from Battersea. If you think the main problem would just be the French have you considered getting the ferry straight to Spain? I think it goes Southampton to Santander. A mate of mine took both his dogs on it when he moved out 2 years back, they’re fairly pampered so I think conditions for the dogs must be good and you’ll get some downtime too :jozza:

bulwellian
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by bulwellian » January 5th, 2019, 12:10 pm

I used to do the route you outlined but in my opinion the best is the ferry Newhaven to Dieppe then Rouen, Reims, Orleans, Clement ferrand and then down to Beziers pick up the E15 down to Barcelona saves about 2 hours driving time as a pose to Calais and you avoid any problems with the dear refugees in Calais ,and the controls on animals are not as stringent as they are in the bigger ports

r0ger9

Post by r0ger9 » January 9th, 2019, 8:31 pm

Right, first apologies for my tardy reply, been getting back into work and sorting stuff out as you do..
Thank you for all the replies, thoughts and comments, much appreciated.

I've figured out what I'm going to do (I should've said at the outset what I'd already tried to do - like the suggestion for ferry to Bilbao and enjoying the dog friendly cabin etc.. but when I tried to do that I could only get it one way due to availability and one of the main ferries having to be in dry dock).
Anyway, the upshot is that I'll get the eurotunnel to Calais and taking some inspiration from Shuggie (thanks mate) drive south dodging Paris by going north & east and then heading south down the the eastern route to Barcelona, stop one night somewhere in France and then catch some sleep on the ferry to Mahon.
Also thanks go to Slartibartfast for making me go back and search through the French Consulate website again - hidden deep within the small print in the FAQ's section I found that it categorically states that "Staffordshire Bull Terriers" are not banned and are not on the "Dangerous Dogs" list in France.

So, although he's a cross, he's crossed with another non dangerous dog breed (Olde Victorian Bull Dogge); which makes me feel far more confident about driving through, and not having to worry about it... meaning I can take my time and stop where & whenever I like (as long as it's a dog friendly hotel of course).
:walk: