Binibequer, Los Bucanero beach bar

Sponsored by El Faros restaurant. Accommodation & Restaurant info for Binibequer, Cala Torret and Binissafuller area.
jhold
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Re: Binibequer, Los Bucanero beach bar

Post by jhold » June 18th, 2020, 12:25 pm

It looks like the damage was done by storm Gloria back in January. Severe damage to the structure and foundations. My guess is that due to coronavirus they haven't been able to bet out and clear away the rubble until now. Let's hope that they are planning on re-building and reopening! Maybe my favourite spot on the island. Such happy memories there.

SusieH

Post by SusieH » June 18th, 2020, 9:48 pm

I don't think it was due to storm damage. The post I read said they started to demolish the seating area and the pictures they took after.
I'll stop moaning, when you give me a pay rise this :arms: big

:nonono: SITE POLICE - REMEMBER i'm watching you :nonono:

Shuggie
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Shuggie » June 18th, 2020, 9:58 pm

It definitely wasn't Gloria it was some guy called jcb
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

SusieH

Post by SusieH » June 18th, 2020, 10:13 pm

:lol: :lol:

jhold
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by jhold » June 19th, 2020, 12:15 pm

https://menorcaaldia.com/2020/01/22/glo ... -binibeca/

.........that's an interesting JCB I must say...

SusieH

Post by SusieH » June 19th, 2020, 3:40 pm

That was 5 months ago. All I know is the pics I put up were taken just a couple of weeks ago by someone watching it being demolished :???: :???:

Maybe Old Gloria started the process but young JCB finished it off :lol: :lol:

jhold
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by jhold » June 19th, 2020, 11:00 pm

It does seem like that unfortunately. I really hope that they can rebuild and reopen the business, especially for the staff who work so hard.

talbotvanman
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by talbotvanman » June 30th, 2020, 10:19 pm

Clarification please has my favorite place really gone or what ?

jhold
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by jhold » July 2nd, 2020, 10:40 am

From the many reports I've read, all the seating areas have been demolished due to damage caused by storm Gloria earlier in the year. The building itself and the bar remain, but many people have told me that they won't be opening at all this year. I assume that there's numerous factors at play here; the lockdown measures will have prevented any work being carried out until very recently (despite the damage being caused in January) and now the tourist season has started already, so they have had to make the area safe.

The optimist in me wants to think that they haven't started to rebuild as it wouldn't be safe whilst there are tourists, families and children on the beach. It would also be very off-putting for returning tourists. They may then rebuild to a similar spec for next season.

The pessimist in me thinks that the seating may never return due to the Ley de Costas ruling; no new build within 100m of the coast, and from what I understand, they never had permission to build there in the first place, but managed to skirt around the matter for years.

A third scenario could be that they are permitted to rebuild, but to a more stringent and regulated safety standard, which would be understandable, but would also take away a lot of its charm. I suppose only time will tell.

It's also probably my favourite spot on the island. So many memories from over 30 years going there. It's one of the last of its kind and such an iconic image for the island.

Shuggie
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Shuggie » July 2nd, 2020, 10:45 am

My friend was speaking to the manager of the bar this week and I'm sorry to report it's now consigned to history and will not be opening again. Very sad as I have memories going back over 45 years of this bar and the beach just wont have the same appeal without the bar.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"