Home ownership advice

Questions relating to buying or owning a property. Moving to Menorca Sub-forum: moving to, or living and working on Menorca
pc.hc@tesco.net
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Home ownership advice

Post by pc.hc@tesco.net » January 2nd, 2019, 7:33 pm

Dear all we are coming up to a year of owner a home on Menorca and are now at that point asking what do we need to ensure we have sorted? Additional paperwork, taxes etc we need to sort out. Obviously when you buy your solicitor / estate agent sorts the purchase but we need to know if we are missing anything and not wanting to get any unwanted attention or trouble would appreciate the experience of the forum. Many thanks and Happy New Year! :toasting:

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Re: Home ownership advice

Post by Sue Adderley » January 8th, 2019, 3:10 pm

Hi

I take it your bi-annual (April and Aug) bills to the local Ajuntament (council tax, bin emptying etc.) have been set up to be paid by direct debit?

This is something we had issues with for several years after we first bought our apartment, as it had supposedly been sorted out by our solicitor, when in reality we were only paying a fraction of the bills that were actually due. This eventually resulted in a very hefty bill arriving, along with a fine of 30% of the total cost! :shock: Apart from that, we have to pay land rent quarterly and non-resident's tax annually. Hope this helps!

Sue :toasting:

kieronf
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by kieronf » January 8th, 2019, 4:32 pm

Have you registered at the town hall, have you applied for residency, have you exchanged your UK driving licence for a Spanish one, have you completed your tax return (Jan 18 to Jan 19)........

pc.hc@tesco.net
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by pc.hc@tesco.net » January 8th, 2019, 10:20 pm

No none of this? Really confused now!!!

Keefyd
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by Keefyd » January 8th, 2019, 10:45 pm

Are you paying your non resident (imputed) Tax? it’s paid once a year, for the previous year. Tax is based on the cadestral value of your property. It’s basically a tax for non residents for having the benefit of a second home in Spain. There are fines for non payment and they can claim upto 4 years non payment.
Lover of everything Menorcan. :jozza:

kieronf
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by kieronf » January 9th, 2019, 10:22 am

pc.hc@tesco.net wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 10:20 pm
Break it down into weekly 'to do' objectives and it won't take long at all. Get yourselves together with your NIE forms to the town hall where you live, they will register you - empadrona, something like that. You will shortly start getting your bi-annual bill through for tax, bins etc

Next you need to apply for residency if you have lived here for more than three months. You will need a private health care insurance policy, sufficient funds in the bank (seems to vary week to week so ask), plus passports, copies of passports, title deeds to your property. You can do this yourself or go with someone who knows the process and head for the police station in Placa de la Miranda in Mahon - fill in all the forms, pay the fee and you will be registered a resident.

Taxes - either ask your solicitor or search the forum posts on here for advice as to who to use to complete your tax forms - everyone's situation is different , so the advice will vary.

Licence - take your UK licence to Trafico at Carrer de l'Amazònia, 31

I would suggest that you prioritise residency and licence changes as these are time critical in relation to Brexit.

Others will soon tell you what I've got wrong.

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » January 10th, 2019, 12:21 pm

pc.hc@tesco.net wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 10:20 pm
Hi I can probably put you in touch with a good friend who has lived there for 30+ years who will be able to help if you want.
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

pc.hc@tesco.net
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by pc.hc@tesco.net » January 11th, 2019, 9:13 pm

That would be really helpful if you can. Many thanks

Boycie
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Boycie » January 12th, 2019, 2:13 pm

He dose not say that he is living on the island or just as a holiday home.
Always on my way to Menorca

pc.hc@tesco.net
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by pc.hc@tesco.net » January 12th, 2019, 5:03 pm

Hi Boycie

It is currently a holiday home as we can only get out there for about 10 weeks a year currently.

Any help appreciated

Phil