CAR HIRE

Any general questions, tips or information, best beaches, great days and nights out in Menorca.
Uncle Bert

CAR HIRE

Post by Uncle Bert » April 28th, 2004, 8:20 am

Dear Folks,

I don't mean to alarm anyone, but having booked a car for my two-week holiday in August 2004 through what I thought was a reliable source, I have just learned that the company has gone 'bust'.

I booked the car in January via the internet on a website called Carrentals.co.uk, but it transpires that my contract was actually with a company called INTERCAR AUTO RENTAL LTD. I only found out by accident that the company had gone belly-up when I tried to notify them of changes to my flight times.

My advice to anyone who has booked a car on-line and has received an electronic voucher bearing the name of INTERCAR AUTO RENTAL LTD., is to telephone the following number immediately 01827 50927 or to email customer_care@carrentals.co.uk
Last edited by Uncle Bert on May 20th, 2005, 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

Young Uncle Bert

Take me home to the place I belong - ALAIOR, MENORCA!!

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » April 28th, 2004, 3:10 pm

Hcsmgb Have you paid for the hire or a deposit? and lost it if so I'm sorry to hear it.

I would urge everyone looking for car hire to shop around, not only for the cheapest quote but the overall contract.

As can be seen here some companies such as Poppycars offer that little bit more E.G. help and advice, and also you the customer benefit from the fact that no deposit is required at all so if you need to cancel you can without any loss at all, and if they go under your only inconvenience is having to find another car.

SteveC 8)
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

Uncle Bert

Post by Uncle Bert » April 28th, 2004, 4:08 pm

Yes, I paid the full amount up front and now have the inconvenience of trying to recover the monies through my credit card provider. :cry:

I agree with your endorsement of Poppycars. In actual fact, I am using them for a later visit in September and wish I had discovered them earlier rather than relying solely on the cheapest quote I could find. They have already proved very responsive, competitively priced and a pleasure to deal with.
Regards,

Young Uncle Bert

Take me home to the place I belong - ALAIOR, MENORCA!!

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Another warning

Post by Slartibartfast » June 29th, 2004, 8:24 pm

It has come to my attention that there maybe one or two disappointed holiday maker out there who have booked and sometimes paid in full for car hire and have been left stranded at the airport. One or two agency co's working over the internet for what ever reason not turned up.

Has this happened to you if so I would like to here from you.

Apart from the hassle of a refund from your card company you also have the worst possible start and the extra expense of taxi's or finding another car at short notice.

My advice would be only choose a car hire company that doesn't want paying or a deposit up front. This can save a lot of hassle later on.

*******Has this happened to you?? Please only post to this topic if you have had trouble with a car hire Co*******

SteveC 8)

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » July 28th, 2004, 11:35 pm

Looking at posts on this subject of some of the large car hire company / agencies [or maybe one in particular] offering too good to be true prices, it seemed like it is, and a bit of a lottery, service wise, but some info that has just come into my possession that confirms it.

Last Thursday and Friday there was quite a few very disgruntled customers [where talking quite a lot of families here] who were taken to their office on the industrial estate, made to hang around for two hours, told there were no cars available and taken back to the airport and dumped at the taxi rank, with the promise of a car if / when some come back in.

To make matters worse it would seem some of them had paid in full too. So it was a case of the extra taxi fare and the extra cost of an other car. Just the start we would all like to our holidays, bang goes a large chunk of the spending money.

Now before you all, [well those who have booked with them anyway], get all Hyper you may be lucky. If you fly in late a few cars at least should have been returned or if your on the first flight of the day you may be lucky enough to bag your self the early bird, corsa punto or whatever. Just don't say you weren't warned.

SteveC 8)

Snidge

Hiper

Post by Snidge » August 5th, 2004, 4:42 pm

Steve,
Now I'm really getting bothered. Ariving 1pm tommorrow booked with Hiper. Tried ringing round others but they are all fully booked for two weeks. Don't spose you know any other car hire companies around Binibeca that may have something ???
We booked a while ago but have not paid any deposit, they have told me that we arn't getting a Xsara it will be something like a Polo.
Fingers crossed it will turn out OK

PhilC
2 Star Supporter
2 Star Supporter

Car Hire - watch what you book on-line!

Post by PhilC » August 7th, 2004, 11:48 am

Looking at some people's problems it looks like we got off fairly lightly but having booked our own car hire in previous years using companies based at the airport, with no problems, I wont be looking for the cheapest on the internet again in a hurry. Having done an on-line search earlier in the year I booked through Recar Touristics - we ended up with a company called Hiper. On arrival, we eventually located a rep who told us to wait around, then (much) later pointed us to a long queue in the bus/coach section. We had to wait whilst an inappropriately small minibus took people to Mahon and returned for us. By the time we got on the bus queue behind us was very long. When we arrived at the depot in the outskirts of Mahon we had to wait about 45 mins in a queue inside a building with no aircon or fans - it was unbearable! The three receptionists appeared to be dealing with several companies - not just ours. They then tried to give us a car in a lower category than the one I had already paid for so I refused it (dont accept what they give you if you are not happy!) we got something in a higher category in the end, at no extra cost. We then waited nearly an hour in the blazing heat for the car to be delivered from the rear of the buildiing to the front so that we could drive off for our hoiday. Very poor service by comparison to previous experience. We got to Arenal about 2 hours later than we would have usually expected.

Another word of warning - we have heard of several people being 'duped' by ording on-line from AmigoAutos thinking they were booking through the reliable local company called Autos Amigos. They are not the same company and - guess what - they too take you on the mystery bus trip to the outskirts of Mahon!

My advice - you get the service you pay for! I for one wont fall for this again.

Snidge

Good old Hiper Car Hire

Post by Snidge » August 21st, 2004, 2:00 pm

Just got back last night from a super two weeks and found Hiper waiting at the airport (well at least a young lady in the yellow shirt). My family and I were all put onto a waiting minibus with one other family and whisked of to the industrial estate a couple of miles away. As previously stated during my telephone conversation with them they had unfortunately got no bigger vehicles available other than large four wheel drive at a lot more cost so had to settle for a new Skoda Favorit, which was a bit of a squeeze with two kids and 3 cases but we made it. All very efficient and we were away in about 15 minutes.
The only problem was, after a couple of days the drivers door wouldn't open after there was a loud "ping" obviously after a spring came off inside the door. Went back and they immediately apologised and replaced it with a Polo. The bank statement when we got home shows £308 including a full tank of petrol which you take back empty - not bad for 14 days in peak season.

The footnote to this story is that after initially reading these horror stories about Hiper I had decided to also book with Europcar who have a desk at the airport(no deposit paid for either) and had qouted me £430 for a Ford Focus. Upon arrival at the desk whilst still waiting for the cases they informed me there had been some mix up and they only had a Ford Galaxy available which was going to cost about Euro1000 for two weeks.
Thank goodness for Hiper !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :?
Last edited by Snidge on August 24th, 2004, 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » August 21st, 2004, 9:12 pm

Snidge I'm pleased everything went ok even if you ended up with a smaller car than you booked. From what I can gather tho' some of the larger hire co's [and it would seem Eurocar can now be included, although it could have been a genuine mistake] will take every booking that comes their way then hope they have a car in for you when you arrive. These co's have vast fleets so most of the time every one is very happy.

I liken it to a taxi service 90% of cars go out on time'ish, but you try ordering one early morning to get to work, or teatime to come home, or as the pubs close and it'll be a very different story.

A few years back we booked and paid for a car through a company called Holiday autos. The car hire co used was Atesa a large multinational, we turned up at the airport desk and were asked for a credit card. When I asked what for, the clerk said it was needed in case we damaged the car, and they would not let us have the car without one. This request wouldn't have been unreasonable if I had been informed at the time of booking, but the problem was at that time I didn't possess a credit card. In the end I had to hand over a large chunk of our travellers cheques signed. Not the best start to our holiday but at least we weren't down to our last few pesetas on the way home after dropping the car off. :lol:

Suffice to say we didn't use them again, the next year we booked a flight and car package [but I can't remember who through] and ended up with a clapped out Peugeot 106 that you had to drop down to 1st gear and stay in first to get up any hill. :shock: Yes I've been bitten once or twice myself

SteveC 8)

PhilC
2 Star Supporter
2 Star Supporter

Post by PhilC » August 23rd, 2004, 7:30 pm

Hi Snidge - I too am really pleased you had better experience with Hiper than ourselves. You obviously were not kept waiting for a very long time at their depot, as happened to us. I actually complained to the company we booked with on-line - Recar Touristic. I did not expect a reply but got an email a couple of days ago saying they were horrified and investigating. I don't expect anything back, but one can but try and hope!

Maybe there is a lesson here. "You win some - you lose some." Should not be like that, I know. We used Europcar from Mahon Airport for several years running before this year and never had any problems with them. On two occasions I hit the same problem - no car available in the size we booked. Each time we were given a free upgrade to a larger vehicle - no questions asked. Personally speaking, I would feel happier booking with with Europcar in the future than with Hiper, but it may just be "luck of the draw" in the end.

Phil