Not such a friendly welcome this year!

Any general questions, tips or information, best beaches, great days and nights out in Menorca.
Annie41
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Not such a friendly welcome this year!

Post by Annie41 » August 4th, 2017, 12:27 pm

We have been coming to Menorca for 24 years, and always eager to return. Something has changed this summer and I am not so sure that I will be parting with so much money for such an unfriendly welcome again. We were lucky enough to have the chance for 2 holidays this summer, one for just us, and then a family holiday with the now older children/young adults. I have always paid over the odds to come to Menorca but feel somewhat cheated this year.

Last week we found the welcome to be lacking. I know I am not imagining this and you only have to read the comments in the daily Menorca.info news on facebook. Everyday there are articles about how awful the tourists are, and the public comments are so nasty. Waiters sneer at attempts to be friendly and use the local language. It was just embarrassing. We don't leave litter, we don't treat working people with disrespect. I can't help but think that British people are on the receiving end of most of this. There were a handful of places that we visited that were just about friendly but we were overcharged a number of times, given food that was clearly not cooked and then brought back having been microwaved and now inedible.

My partner and I were really disappointed and the youngsters have made it clear that they are not interested in returning...

I would be interested to hear your experiences. :sad:

glensibs
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Re: Not such a friendly welcome this year!

Post by glensibs » August 4th, 2017, 2:25 pm

We've been a couple of times this year and haven't experienced this at all. Where were you based? It's such a shame you've had this experience. Hopefully it's just a one off.

Annie41
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Annie41 » August 4th, 2017, 2:28 pm

We stayed in Cala'n Bosch but experienced all of this in Cala'n Blanes, Son Bou, Cala Blanca, Ciutadella, Sa Caleta etc!

Shuggie
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Shuggie » August 4th, 2017, 2:51 pm

I've certainly not seen any of this around the south east of the island.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

MikeC
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by MikeC » August 4th, 2017, 3:40 pm

Nor the north around Arenal, Coves Noves, Fornells etc. (We were there for 2 weeks in July). A hugely disappointing experience that was not typical of the island that I know and love. We're back again in September so will see if there have been changes!

Mike

the mad buyer
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Post by the mad buyer » August 4th, 2017, 5:10 pm

We've had our usual cheery welcome each time this year
Stories are like fairy gold, the more you give away, the more you have

watta
Support Team
Support Team

Post by watta » August 4th, 2017, 5:25 pm

...and so did I around the south west in May. :finga:

Alan
:cool:
:supz: :dream: :c9: :finga:

Not this year now, but next, hopefully.

cassie99
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by cassie99 » August 4th, 2017, 5:34 pm

been twice this year with no problemos.

Lizc
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Lizc » August 4th, 2017, 5:38 pm

Did you go to places that had been good in the past Annie?
It's hard to understand why you had such a different experience from all the other years you've been visiting the island. Very sad :sad:

Marysal
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Marysal » August 4th, 2017, 6:45 pm

Been there three times this year and certainly around Sol Del Este Es Castell and Mahon we were made very welcome. Will take more notice when we return in September