Speeding fine

Any general questions, tips or information, best beaches, great days and nights out in Menorca.
Sunseaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Speeding fine

Post by Sunseaker » August 19th, 2009, 8:22 pm

As you approach Mecadel from either end the speed limit is 50 klm, then 90, but as in the UK just watch out for the signs.
I only let him think he's in charge.

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » August 19th, 2009, 8:38 pm

I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

leyland
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

New camera

Post by leyland » July 25th, 2011, 7:02 pm

There will soon be another fixed speed camera on the ME1 near the Son Bou turn, installation is in progress at the moment, will probably be operative before the end of the season. There is also another planned on the Mahon to Fornells route.
Leyland

ladyrose

Post by ladyrose » July 25th, 2011, 10:42 pm

It is 50 kph in Es Mercadal and 90 kph on the roads. :grin:
I just read in the paper today that they are doing one on the main road to Cuitadella just outside the Son Bou turn off.
And there is one in the center of San LLouis.

sanjaime
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by sanjaime » March 11th, 2017, 7:37 pm

Only average of 10.6 fines a day from Es Mercadel cameras and 5.2 from the Alaior cameras.

Quote "
The high number of fines for exceeding the permitted speed could be explained by the intensity of traffic during the summer season due to the floating fleet of vehicles. Thus, Alaior radar controls an average of more than 11,000 vehicles per day accounting for 12 months of the year. In Menorca the active park is 75,203 vehicles.

See
https://menorca.info/menorca/local/2017 ... uffer[code][/code]

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » March 11th, 2017, 11:17 pm

Hiya

There is also a camera on the ME1 just outside Alaior by the Son Bou turn off (where 3 cyclists were killed a few years ago). The limit there is 70km PH.

They also have speed camera zones (where you could be caught with a mobile speed trap) in Sant LLuis and San Climente. I think the limit through these towns could be as little as 30km PH.

The speed limit through Es Mercadal is 50km PH and it may take an average reading of speed as you travel through, but the one by Alaior is just one camera, so just a normal speed trap.

The standard speed limit for the ME1 is 90Km PH, but you have to look out for other speed limit signs around the towns.

Sue :partyman:

Dopey Whisky
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Dopey Whisky » September 23rd, 2018, 10:21 am

We heeded the dire warnings re. the speed camera in Son Vitamina this year as last, however unless my good lady and myself are loosing the plot and our eyesight deteriorating rapidly , the camera has gone. So if some soul is sweating about getting the full weight of the Spanish legal system landing on their door mat so not hold your breath.

David

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » September 29th, 2018, 6:14 pm

Hi

The limit through Es Mercadal on the ME1 (main road) is 50kmph and there are two speed cameras. However, I don't know whether it's set up as an 'average' speed camera between the two, or two separate cameras. There aren't any lines painted on the road and they don't use a flash, so it's easy to miss them if you don't know they're there.

There's also a camera on the ME1 between the turning for Torre Soli Nou (Son Bou) and Alaior, which is where three cyclists were killed a few years ago. This is a 70kmph limit.

There are radar speed camera zones through some smaller towns, such as Sant Lluis, which I think is a limit of 40kmph and Sant Climent, which is 30kmph. There aren't any fixed cameras there, as far as I'm aware.

The main ME1 has a limit of 90kmph, as far as I know.

Sue :toasting: