Schools in Minorca

Any general questions, tips or information, best beaches, great days and nights out in Menorca.
perezg

Schools in Minorca

Post by perezg » March 6th, 2020, 3:28 pm

My family are hoping to move to Menorca at the end of the year with our two children aged 12 & 8. Can anyone tell me which are the best schools. I'm slightly nervous as they don't speak any spanish but they understand a little. Is there an international or private school on the island?
Any help/advice or knowledge about what other families did would be greatly appreciated.

SusieH

Re: Schools in Minorca

Post by SusieH » March 7th, 2020, 11:58 am

Hi and sorry no-one's answered your post yet.

If you check out the Property Owners Buying or Living in Menorca forum - you'll find loads of information from our members and those living over there.

Also if you put SCHOOLS in the search engine at the top on the right that brings up lots of posts about the subject too. :grin:
I'll stop moaning, when you give me a pay rise this :arms: big

:nonono: SITE POLICE - REMEMBER i'm watching you :nonono:

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » March 9th, 2020, 6:44 pm

Hi

I've recently seen quite interesting Tweets regarding multilingual schools on the island (or lack of them) and the upshot is that there appears to be just two :shock:

CEIP Sa Graduada in Mahon, http://www.sagraduadasapobla.com who apparently teach 30+ % in English.

The other option is CEIP Tramuntana, https://ceiptramuntana.blogspot.com which I think may be near Es Grau and has good reviews, but I'm not sure how much English is used.

Both websites appear to be in Catalan only, so you'll need to do a Google translate or similar.

Good Luck!

Sue :partyman:

ireay
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by ireay » March 9th, 2020, 8:19 pm

A friends daughter went to school on menorca at age 7. From what I remember she had a teacher for support for the first couple of weeks and then access to an English teacher if she needed for a few more weeks, she absolutely thrived and was fluent in quite a short time. Obviously she excelled in the English class 😉. My honest opinion is if you really want to immerse yourself in island life then the local school might be the way to go. Daunting I know, but the menorqians are a friendly bunch or we wouldn’t love it there so much

woodhouse
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by woodhouse » April 2nd, 2020, 8:32 am

I know this may not be what you want to hear but I have had two sets of friends who have lived on the island for years, move back to the UK because of the poor schooling on the island (particularly secondary school)