IPTV Boxes - are they still a thing?

Questions relating to buying or owning a property. Moving to Menorca Sub-forum: moving to, or living and working on Menorca
Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

IPTV Boxes - are they still a thing?

Post by Sue Adderley » May 29th, 2019, 11:02 am

Hi All

I'm aware I'm a bit late to the party, but we've just had fibre broadband installed in our apartment :grin: However, now we need to try and stream some UK TV channels through an IPTV box (we don't have a smart TV, just a standard new one).
We've been told we can buy a box at Mervi, the Sony Centre, in Alaior. However, my guess is they'll be expensive and I'm not sure whether we'll be able to access UK channels anyway.

I'm guessing if I bought a box from Mervi it would be some kind of regulated product, as I know new regulations were enforced recently to prevent 'free' streaming.

Would I be better buying a Now TV box/Amazon Firestick, or the likes, in the UK, set it up over here, take it to Menorca and use it? I know there are certain subscription charges involved these days, for sports packaging etc., but I guess the days of getting something for nothing (like we did for a few years with the old Sky dish and box) are long gone :roll:

Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers

Sue :partyman:

Shuggie
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Re: IPTV Boxes - are they still a thing?

Post by Shuggie » May 29th, 2019, 1:37 pm

There is guy in CnP who provides and installs the boxes and offers the subscription package that includes everything ....all channels you will ever need. Only problem is you need to sign up for a minimum of 6 months. I did have his contact number but I’ve lost it now. I use an android box and have installed the FilmOn app. Subscription is £14 per month and you get all the free to view U.K. channels and you can turn it on and off when you need it.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » May 29th, 2019, 2:30 pm

Thanks Shuggie!

I wonder if the guy near CnP you're talking about is Michael Taylor. I know he, along with his dad Nigel and brother Andrew, has a satellite TV business. In fact, Andrew lives just over the road from us, so maybe I'll have a word with him :grin:

Did you buy your Android box over there and if so, where did you get it please (and roughly how much did it cost)?

Thanks

Sue

Shuggie
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Shuggie » May 29th, 2019, 2:42 pm

Sue

I know of the Taylors but have never had any dealings with them. I guess their option will cost a bit.

If you go on eBay or amazon and search ‘android tv box’ you’ll find loads of them. You could download the Filmon app onto any tablet or laptop/pc and give it a try before you buy the box. The only downside with the boxes is the remotes don’t seem to work very well. I use a wireless mouse which I can have on the arm of the sofa and change channels with that. Works for me.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » May 29th, 2019, 3:47 pm

Oh okay, thanks, I'll have a look on Ebay and see what I can find.

We dealt with the Taylors when we had our dish installed many years ago and had to call them out a couple of winters ago, following a storm, to straighten it out :lol: TBH, they didn't appear that expensive and even loaned us a Sky box for nowt :eek: So I might send them a message just to see what options are about.

Cheers

Sue

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » May 30th, 2019, 2:08 pm

Is it live TV you need or would Netflix or Amazon prime do?
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » May 30th, 2019, 5:38 pm

Hi Slarti

We ideally wanted live TV, but I guess it's not essential until we're spending more time on the island.

Basically, we were told we'd have access to 'all' UK channels once we'd had fibre installed, but now it's been done there's this whole minefield of IPTV subscriptions/illegal streaming etc.

So far, we've been quoted 250 Euros to have a box installed, plus £19 per month subscription for all UK Freesat channels (bit ironic really :mad: )! As we're currently only there for around 6 weeks per year, we're obviously not going to go for that option! Trouble is, it appears that there's now a distinct lack of folk on the island who offer any kind of IPTV box package, probably due to the new laws.

As I'm the designated 'technical' one :roll: I'm looking for an easy option that doesn't end up with me spending hours stressing over how to connect some random gadget that ultimately ends up being useless!

My husband doesn't mind paying a reasonable amount for someone to come and install the box (which will probably save hours of bickering) but the subscription thing is a pain if we can't limit the months we pay for.

Sue :partyman:

RetiringEarly
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by RetiringEarly » May 30th, 2019, 7:13 pm

Hi Sue. We have a Fibralink package for internet and TV. This gives us the UK channels plus others and the internet speed is around 6 mps up and down. Enough for my wife to work on her laptop. We are based in Son Bou and are there 6/7 times a year.

We also pay a monthly subscription of around €45, but have it turned off when we are not there. I think Fibralink have a web site with all their packages on it.
Giles

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » May 30th, 2019, 8:24 pm

Hi Giles

I'll take a look at their website, many thanks!

Sue :toasting:

Keefyd
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by Keefyd » May 30th, 2019, 9:27 pm

Hi Sue,
I’ve got Menorcatv in my apartment in CnP and I can’t recommend it enough.
It’s an iptv service with all the normal uk tv channels, plus Sky channels, Sky Sport, Sky Tv all for €141 for 6 months.
I get it from Dan Taylor whose based in
You would need to buy an iptv box, which Dan supplies and installs for you.
I can give you his contact details if you want them.
Lover of everything Menorcan. :jozza: