The new tourist registration law

Questions relating to buying or owning a property. Moving to Menorca Sub-forum: moving to, or living and working on Menorca
dsr
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Re: The new tourist registration law

Post by dsr » August 17th, 2018, 9:24 am

OK. Thanks.

MikeC
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by MikeC » August 17th, 2018, 1:57 pm

Hi, we have a similar issue. We don't want a tourist licence but our community of owners, yesterday, voted narrowly to apply for one. We don't rent and won't rent. We don't have a problem with those that do but look likely to have to contribute to the cost of the licence since it has to be for the entire complex (circa 28 apartments in Coves Noves). This is the beginning of a process which could get quite fractious because of the narrowness of the vote (55% for and 45% against-feels almost like the Brexit vote). Its likely to cost 10,000 euro's for the licence so our contribution will not be huge but frustrating nonetheless. Mike

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » August 17th, 2018, 3:43 pm

A very interesting discussion!

Owners in our community in Torre Soli Nou were told that they had to vote at the AGM (early July) for or against allowing the new tourist rental licence. Several owners were advised by their lawyers that they should abstain from voting, due to the fact that no-one yet knows the details of the new tourist letting law, as it hasn't yet been published :???: So how does anyone know what they're actually agreeing to? However, the vote went ahead anyway (with quite a few owners not submitting a vote). This is due to the fact that the community administrator and president seem to do whatever the hell they like, regardless of whether it makes any kind of sense, or is actually legal! Unsurprisingly, the outcome was that the majority who actually voted agreed to the new licence (us not included). However, it's interesting to note that the minutes of the meeting certainly don't mention anything about costs being incurred for obtaining the licence :shock: (although that doesn't surprise me in the slightest)! I wonder how many owners who voted 'for' are aware of how much they'll have to fork out for the privilege of renting their places. If the cost of the licence is supposed to be split between the whole community (even if owners voted against, like us) I reckon there'll be a revolt! I know we certainly won't be paying towards it, along with quite a few others I would imagine! :finga:

Sue

wiliam42
1 Star Supporter
1 Star Supporter

Post by wiliam42 » September 12th, 2018, 5:59 pm

Shuggie wrote:
August 15th, 2018, 11:47 am
They are renewable every 5 years
Does anybody know if you can check if a licence has actually been renewed. Presumably, an owner with an expired licence could continue to quote the number and potentially never be challenged as to whether it was current or not

beachstroller
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by beachstroller » September 19th, 2018, 6:39 pm

" If the cost of the licence is supposed to be split between the whole community (even if owners voted against, like us)"

It's clear the whole thing is a mess and even community lawyers seem to have different views on what should be a clear point of law. My understanding is currently licences are applied for / paid for by the apartment owners individually -as would make lawful sense. The community members may choose to 'block' /discourage via whatever means comes to their individual / collective minds.

It is quite clearly a balearics populist parties vote catcher and general politicised fudge to cover up years of mismanagement of housing / tourism. People will not be able to afford social housing rent if their are no ( Tourism income ) Jobs let alone belieiving that the private segment will suddenly open up their properties for 'cheap' longet term rentals when the current law is so stacked in favour of bad tennants.

Shuggie
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Shuggie » September 19th, 2018, 8:37 pm

Well I’m glad you’ve cleared all that up, everything is as clear as mud :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

tryingforaneasylife

Post by tryingforaneasylife » October 3rd, 2018, 9:08 am

Re Tourist Licensing:
If this helps anybody - https://www.spain-holiday.com/rentalbuz ... in-menorca
In terms of stated new laws - it seems that certain parts are not clear in definition -
What is clear is that zoning will not help local residential owners; in terms of claimed efforts regarding protection of the island and its residents, who have previously rented to off set living costs in non zoned areas. These are not small in numbers -

Keefyd
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by Keefyd » October 3rd, 2018, 8:21 pm

I’m going through the process currently and I have to say it’s a bloody nightmare!
I have to obtain a certificado municipal para cedula por carencia at 45 euros, before I can apply for a certificado de habitadidad at 85 euros.
Then I have to increase my energy certificate from a G to an F, by installing an A category water heater at 400 euros. Then have a new energy certificate done at 125 euros.
I can then submit my tourist licence application at 350 euros.
So all in, it’s going to cost me nearly 1000 euros to complete this exercise.

Makes me wander whether it’s worth it!
Lover of everything Menorcan. :jozza:

chrismarkoliver
1 Star Supporter
1 Star Supporter

Post by chrismarkoliver » November 23rd, 2018, 2:56 pm

and what about the €3500 per plaza/bed fee the article in the link above mentions if the property is not your permanent residence. Surely this is going to be the cost that stops most of us on here from even thinking about getting a tourist licence!

Keefyd
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by Keefyd » November 23rd, 2018, 8:20 pm

The purchase of plazas ( places ) relates to owners who are renting out rooms in a house that they would otherwise have lived in themselves. There is a lot of confusion and misinterpretation of the new laws as different rules apply to housing, multi family housing and buildings subject to the horizontal property regime.
There are further complications for properties that were built as part of tourist apartment complexes, that have since been sold on to private owners, where the apartments that are not privately owned are seemingly not subject to any of the rigorous new standards required, which I feel is grossly unfair?
Our complex currently has a Tourist Apartment Licence, but the private owners can no longer quote this licence, we have to apply for our own individual tourist licences now.

I have also been told by HABTUR that apartments do not require the energy certificate ratings quoted in the new rules, only housing and villas.
Lover of everything Menorcan. :jozza: