Ballpark running costs

Questions relating to buying or owning a property. Moving to Menorca Sub-forum: moving to, or living and working on Menorca
Gorson
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Ballpark running costs

Post by Gorson » April 25th, 2022, 3:15 pm

I realise this is as bit of a "how long is a piece of string" questions but....

As mentioned previously on the forum, we have a flat in Ciutadella and have commenced planning to move permanently to Menorca in the next 5 years or so. I'm trying to do some planning on our pensions and investments and wanted to get an idea of how much it might cost us living there full time.

Obviously our flat is relatively cheap to run (under 2000 Euro all in for the year), but we don't live there most of the time (not at all in winter) and the taxes are certainly going to be higher for a villa than a 2bed flat in town.

Can anyone living full time give me an idea or what sort of base income would cover a 3-4 bed villa on a reasonably compact plot? I'm thinking, gas, electric, water, internet, taxes etc? I realsie a lot will depend on location, if on mains or solar/well etc but I have no idea even of a ballpark figure right now.

Shuggie
Bandwidth abuser
Bandwidth abuser

Re: Ballpark running costs

Post by Shuggie » April 25th, 2022, 8:59 pm

Gas at the moment is about €18 a bottle. I have a gas water heat and one bottle last about a month.

Electric is expensive. Through the winter we’ve been about €150 pm. We have a wood burner for all our heating needs. If I had to buy the wood in it would have cost me probably €600 for the winter. You need heating in the winter from late October early November to mid April. Now we are coming into summer months our bills will be much higher due to the pool pump being on for 8/12 hours a day and air con being on at the peak of summer…..so probably €300 per month.

Council tax is about €1000 per year.

Water, mine comes from neighbouring house and cost about €250 per year.

Internet and Spanish mobile phones about €65 per month.

UK tv about €360 per year.

Heath insurance about €130 per month for 2 of us.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

Gorson
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by Gorson » April 26th, 2022, 12:48 pm

Many thanks - so likely to be €500-600 per month on average assuming log burner in winter, swimming pool and aircon in summer. Plus whatever TV service we decide on (Currently we have Netflix and Amazon Prime)

House/Car insurance costs? £300-400 p.a.?

I take it running aircon heating in Winter will be very pricy which is why people tend to have wood burners? I've seen a few, newer properties with central heating but it doesn't seem common.

Shuggie
Bandwidth abuser
Bandwidth abuser

Post by Shuggie » April 26th, 2022, 4:19 pm

There are plenty of central heating system installed in houses here. Under floor being the most popular fired by oil boilers or electric. Remember no mains yet. Pellet burners are another good option, cleaner and cheaper than a wood burner. I only use my air con to heat as a last resort due the cost.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"