How to waterproof a roof terrace

Questions relating to buying or owning a property. Moving to Menorca Sub-forum: moving to, or living and working on Menorca
Shuggie
7 Star supporter
7 Star supporter

How to waterproof a roof terrace

Post by Shuggie » January 21st, 2021, 10:51 pm

I have a small roof terrace that is only accessible by ladder so it really doesn’t get used. The views are great but building restriction mean I can’t build steps up to it. The problem is it’s old and has started to leak. There are couple of options available to fix the problem.

1. Rip up the old terracotta tiles and retile. Expensive option and time consuming.
2. Clean the old tiles and treat them with a waterproof membrane and then retile on top of the membrane.

I’m going for option 2 as the terrace is not going to be used as a terrace, it’s just flat roof really.

This is what I’m presented with. Last year I put some plastic sheeting down as quick fix to stop the leaks. It worked for while but has now started leaking again.
3063E509-F80B-472D-8B35-D63E90A0DC10.jpeg
So I’ve now cleared the plastic sheet away and I’m left some really dirty old tiles. Some are cracked and some have holes in them. The grouting is in a really bad state so it’s obvious where the leaks are coming from.
405A6C95-B72B-4C33-9100-A23864DC59AC.jpeg
0328AD74-35D5-41F3-AA72-9230E38CA054.jpeg
To clean them I use a wire broom and give them a good dry scrubbing and remove as much of the dirt, moss and scum as possible. I then brush this up and discard it. Next is a quick mop to remove the worst of the remaining muck. Now this is where things get nasty. I use a product called Sulpherman. It’s basically sulphuric acid and is used, diluted, to deep clean tiles. It can be bought in all supermarket and its cheap. You’ll never see this in the U.K. as the kids would weaponise it and throw it in each other’s faces. I use is neat as I’m in a well ventilated area and I’ve got full PPE on. I mop this neat into the tiles and leave it for 10 minutes. With plenty of clean water I then mop it off and I’m left with nice clean tiles.
C01EE69A-5681-4FDD-9AB2-2D21327D9984.jpeg
Now it’s time for the a final brush and I use the blower to clear off any dust so I have a perfectly clean surface. You’ll notice a few grey patches which is some paintable membrane than I’ve put on the worst damaged areas just in case it rains before I get the main membrane down.
00167FFE-353A-44F0-9F85-802680F3FF03.jpeg
I’ll now use a product call Icopper which is a paintable membrane. I’m going to use the slightly more expensive one that has fibres in it as is harder wearing. It comes in, white, grey or red. Cost is about €50 for 20lt.

Now I’ve painted the border of the terrace with a small roller and come up the surrounding wall about 4 inches. I do this 3 times in total making sure i get into all the nocks and crannies with a small brush.

Next I’ll use a paint roller for rough surfaces to give a minimum of three coats of the membrane to the rest of the tiles.

That will be completed tomorrow and I’ll post pictures when I’ve done that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

Sunseaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How to waterproof a roof terrace

Post by Sunseaker » January 22nd, 2021, 3:12 pm

:supz:
I only let him think he's in charge.

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » January 22nd, 2021, 3:33 pm

Very good. Perhaps photos of the products used with where you got them from may help.
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

Shuggie
7 Star supporter
7 Star supporter

Post by Shuggie » January 24th, 2021, 10:12 am

I've now managed to get 3 coats of the membrane down and this is the result.
20210123_150846.jpg
20210123_150856.jpg
20210123_150901.jpg
I've had the hose pipe on it and all is good, it's not leaking any more. I've still got enough membrane left to do another 2 coats so I'll do that in the next day or so. I'm not going to re-tile it at the moment I'll just wait and see how the membrane holds out in the sun this summer. If it starts to deteriorate I'll then consider finding some cheap tiles to put down. Just the surrounding walls to paint now.

This is the tub of membrane that I use. €46 from Sanchez builder merchant on the mahon poligono.
20210124_100029.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

Tigipaul
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Tigipaul » January 24th, 2021, 4:41 pm

Well done Shuggie, looks a good clean prepared roof , now
I always look if people are tidy as they go as opposed to chaos. !!. 👍👍

I presume a concrete roof deck under existing tiles ??

I have looked at all the pictures and can't see any water outlets ?🤔

Shuggie
7 Star supporter
7 Star supporter

Post by Shuggie » January 26th, 2021, 9:26 pm

Tigipaul wrote:
January 24th, 2021, 4:41 pm
Well done Shuggie, looks a good clean prepared roof , now
I always look if people are tidy as they go as opposed to chaos. !!. 👍👍

I presume a concrete roof deck under existing tiles ??

I have looked at all the pictures and can't see any water outlets ?🤔
Not sure what's under the tiles but probably some sort of concrete pad.

There is a water outlet which drains to another lower terrace as you can see in the picture. Obviously this got some special attention with membrane.
20210126_170437.jpg

Tigipaul
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Tigipaul » January 26th, 2021, 9:35 pm

👍👍👍👍