Learning the lingo

Questions relating to buying or owning a property. Moving to Menorca Sub-forum: moving to, or living and working on Menorca
pc.hc@tesco.net
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Learning the lingo

Post by pc.hc@tesco.net » March 29th, 2019, 6:03 pm

Dear all
What options are on the island for learning the lingo.
Any tips?
Thanks

kieronf
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Re: Learning the lingo

Post by kieronf » March 30th, 2019, 10:26 am

Most local authorities run classes (day or evening) that run for a few months for around €30 a 'term'. There are established language schools at either end of the island offering group or one-to-one lessons plus a number of tutors offering a range of learning activities, walking groups andthe like. If none of that appeals you can plonk yourself down in front of the computer and try your hand at online courses such as Memrise or Duolingo - it is very much up to you and what you fancy.

Some people want to build up from the very basics, alphabet, numbers etc, others want specific learning such as tradespeople or other occupation related learning and the others just pick it up as they go along. Learning the language(s) isn't a pre-requisite to getting on In menorca as so many people in all walks of life here speak excellent English, so it is very much a question of it being a personal goal rather than a necessity.

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » March 30th, 2019, 2:00 pm

You will also see adverts for informal reciprocal language teaching. Quite a few parents want their children to be able to speak and fully understand English correctly and offer "You teach our children English and well teach you Spanish"
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

pc.hc@tesco.net
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by pc.hc@tesco.net » March 30th, 2019, 8:54 pm

Hi that sounds really interesting where might I find these adverts?

pc.hc@tesco.net
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by pc.hc@tesco.net » March 30th, 2019, 8:55 pm

Thanks Kieronf

Where might I find the courses authorities offer?

bini-lizard
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by bini-lizard » March 31st, 2019, 9:52 am

For the reciprocal learning malarkey sticking ‘Spanish intercambio’ into a Google search should get you started.

I use a site called conversation exchange. I reckon you need to have learnt the basics and be vaguely fluent a bit to get the most out of this but it’s helped me no end.

I’ve got a couple of Spaniards I meet from time to time, usually weekly. We speak Spanish for an hour, then English for the same (and then often finish with some Spanglish!) I’m even starting a new one Mahon this week. How good it works out is down to the type of person you find but I’ve got a couple of good ones.

kieronf
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by kieronf » March 31st, 2019, 10:49 am

pc.hc@tesco.net wrote:
March 30th, 2019, 8:55 pm
Thanks Kieronf

Where might I find the courses authorities offer?
Just pop into your local town hall and someone there will know. Ours, in Alaior, run from October to May and offer different levels from beginner to more advanced, plus it's a good way to meet up with folk.

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » March 31st, 2019, 3:15 pm

pc.hc@tesco.net wrote:
March 30th, 2019, 8:54 pm
Hi that sounds really interesting where might I find these adverts?
There used to be quite a few in the small ads in the daily paper and also in Roqueta magazine.
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)