Internet speeds/providers

Having computer problems ? we may be able to help in here. Plus recommended software [free, shareware & commercial]
SusieH

Internet speeds/providers

Post by SusieH » September 26th, 2016, 5:45 pm

I have a problem :evil:

I've actually just bought a couple of weeks ago a brand new computer :lol: :lol: , well we needed one, our old one was already second hand and was sooooo slow :evil:

Anyway this one's brilliant but..... it's still slow on some sites and my son reckons we should get rid of Sky broadband and go with someone else.#

Now i've just done a broadband speed test and it's coming out at:

Download speed 3.7 mb/s
Upload speed 0.8 mb/s

That's bad innit :???: One of the alternatives was TalkTalk who had a 200 odd speed :shock: and Virgin who also have higher speeds but not keen on Virgin as when we changed to them a few years ago their broadband was so crap we had the engineers out about 5 times in two weeks so in the end went back with Sky.

Any helpful hints/tips etc, would be very appreciated. :???:
I'll stop moaning, when you give me a pay rise this :arms: big

:nonono: SITE POLICE - REMEMBER i'm watching you :nonono:

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Internet speeds/providers

Post by Slartibartfast » September 26th, 2016, 7:52 pm

First is your modem plugged into the primary Openreach socket? if not it should be to eliminate in house wiring problems. Is you puter connected by cable for wifi?? [If wifi then ..... let me know]

Next phone PlusNet on 0800 432 0080 and head for sales. Talk to them as if you are wanting to join them, ask about any offers, how long it takes ...etc but also ask what speed you can expect for your line. The answer will be a range, example 10.5 mb/s to 18 mb/s.( I expect that it'll be somewhere just below your d/l speed [3.7 mb/s])

The lower figure they give is the minimum speed you can expect and most/all ISP's will not do much for you if you are at or above this lower limit. If the lower figure is say 3 md/s you'll probably not get much more which ever ISP you use. If the lower figure is higher that you d/l speed then something is wrong and needs sorting.

Saying all that not all ISP's are equal. I'm with plusnet, was before I went to Menorca and signed back with as soon as I got back. They have an excellent and knowledgeable tech staff.

My line profile gives me 12 - 20 mb/s I got 17+, this dropped recently to 11, a quick call to them put it back to 15, I'll call again in a weeks time to try and get it back to 17+

If your line profile only gives a low speed then fiber to the cabinet is your only option for fast broadband.
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

SusieH

Post by SusieH » September 27th, 2016, 5:04 am

:???: :???: Am I supposed to understand all that :???: :???:

Son installed it all for me. I think it's Wifi :???: Think i'll speak with him to find out more :???:

kieronf
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by kieronf » September 27th, 2016, 11:19 am

Your broadband 'speed' very much depends on a number of factors. If you are on a par with neighbours then the problem will generally be the dated cabling in the area. I live in rural Devon and we are at the extremes of the old copper wiring from our exchange and so our broadband starts off slow and gets even worse as demand peaks in the local area. We are a long way off fibre optic cables so we just have to make do, the same with a poor mobile signal.

If your speeds are significantly at odds with other local users then the problem could lie with your modem/wireless connection or other factors such as the browser you use for the internet on your computer. I would check with some locals first and compare notes - regardless of who the internet provider is - Virgin, BT, PlusNet etc, - they can only provide a service through the same cabling and none will be better than the other under those circumstances.

SusieH

Post by SusieH » September 27th, 2016, 5:47 pm

Yeah I had thought of that. Amazing isn't it, we've lived here for 20 years and hardly speak to any of the neighbours. It's not what I call a nice community who help each other out and Bri hates it :???:

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » September 29th, 2016, 11:38 am

If you connect your puter to the modem by wifi then thats another ball game.

SusieH

Post by SusieH » September 29th, 2016, 5:54 pm

Oh I dunno :???: No1 son set it all up, I wouldn't have a clue :???: :???:

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » October 8th, 2016, 10:44 pm

SusieH wrote: Am seriously thinking about going with BT maybe :???:
Before you do anything... re-read and understand answers given, any questions ..ask.
First is your modem plugged into the primary Openreach socket? if not it should be to eliminate in house wiring problems. Is you puter connected by cable
Next phone PlusNet on 0800 432 0080 and head for sales. Talk to them as if you are wanting to join them, ask about any offers, how long it takes ...etc but also ask what speed you can expect for your line.
Give me this figure and I'll be able to tell you if going elsewhere will improve your speed.

Consider fiber to the cabinet, but again ask what speed you can expect for your line

SusieH

Post by SusieH » October 9th, 2016, 5:44 pm

It might be a silly question but why ring Plusnet?? Don't they provide broadband and wouldn't they start trying to get me to buy theirs??

I will have another word with son No.1 who understands all this and all the wiring etc better than me. As far as I know it's still plugged into the BT thingy cos he said it was yesterday. I could get this new fibre broadband from Sky if I wanted it but they want all this money up front and they get enough out of me every month as it is :evil: I know I'm probably gonna have to pay something up front anyway but not to Sky.

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » October 9th, 2016, 6:17 pm

I know that Plusnet will and can test your line to give you an estimated speed, not sure if others can or will do.

What I'm saying is that IF the LOWER estimated speed they give you is similar to what you are getting now [Download speed 3.7 mb/s] then it won't make any difference who you change to, you'll just get the same speed as that's probably all your line will allow.

My son's speed is worse than yours, his only real option is to go for fibre to the cabinet. Yes moving to fibre will cost more but there are deals out there and if you haggle you can get even better deals. ATM I get two months free line rental and pay less than half Plusnets standard rate for the internet.