Internet speeds/providers

Having computer problems ? we may be able to help in here. Plus recommended software [free, shareware & commercial]
SusieH

Re: Internet speeds/providers

Post by SusieH » October 10th, 2016, 7:27 am

Ahh I see, I'm with you now. Will have to give them a ring then. Thanks mate :lol:
I'll stop moaning, when you give me a pay rise this :arms: big

:nonono: SITE POLICE - REMEMBER i'm watching you :nonono:

corsario
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by corsario » October 18th, 2019, 4:06 pm

Well, lucky me! My max speed is 386mb, in UK...Virgin fibre.
I get 14mb here in Menorca, so enough to stream all my Virgin TV services free of charge, which is excellent because I pay a lot per month in UK, but get the benefit of that in Menorca. So effectively, I can use my Virgin package anywhere, on a pc or phone, and I'm not paying for a service which is unused for several months of the year while I am in Menorca.
Of course, you can stream any service provider, but if you pay a lot for a high speed, consider using that service when you are on holiday.
Hay que verlo para creerlo!

Every home needs a pantry...

Rickse28
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by Rickse28 » April 30th, 2020, 10:52 pm

:rock: :???: I know it's a few months, er, down the line, but was wondering how you got on, Susie, with any upgrade - or not. I would like to add my experience, in south east London. We started WAY BACK with a company called Freeserve, which was bought up/swallowed up several times and eventually became part of EE. Each time the provider was sold on, two things happened. 1/ the service deteriorated (internet) 2/ the service deteriorated (customer relations). Eventually by about 2017 I was tearing out what little hair I had left. I used to phone them up monthly to complain and they would invariably ask me the same %&*@~$! questions, such as "Is the telephone wire connected?" and some such.
At that time Hyperoptic were laying in fibre optic cables in our area, so I asked around, to any neighbours who had taken up the service. They gave me pretty much the same answer - much better speeds, reliable service, good customer support. I went over to Hyperoptic for a modest increase in my monthly payments. It includes a landline, although I could not retain my old number. As I finished the EE contract a rep phoned me to offer a rescue deal. I told him no way Josea, because the download/upload speeds sucked. He said: "Well - you're using a BT landline, and you'll never get more than 12-13 MBPS from that." I'd been paying for 30 for years! No wonder they were losing customers.
I was glad I went over to fibre optic. I get a 150MBPS service nowadays for about one third more than I was paying with EE. A no-brainer.
As an aside, I am still trying to soften up my kids to relocate to Menorca (it could happen if the Spanish government plays ball after Covid-19). My son is not a happy bunny, because he thinks the internet will be dire there. Any computer types or film buffs who use a lot of bandwidth over there, who can help me placate my son and hair, sorry, heir?

Shuggie
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Shuggie » May 1st, 2020, 7:08 am

Most of the main towns now have fibre optic and you can expect speeds in excess of 50mbps. If you live in a rural area, as I do, Internet comes to the house via microwave line of sight antenna but speeds of 10mbps are still achievable. I rarely get a problem streaming TV, video, YouTube, it all works fine.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"