Sushi - Es Castell

Accommodation & Restaurant info Mahon, Es Castell, Cala Mesquida and Es Grau.
Shuggie
7 Star supporter
7 Star supporter

Sushi - Es Castell

Post by Shuggie » November 14th, 2020, 7:24 pm

Today we went to the new Sushi restaurant in Es Castell which used to be Irene. I’ve been to the Way in port Mahon twice and both times have been very, very disappointed by the food and more so the service. I’ve not been back for at least 2 years. So Sushi Es Castell has some very good reviews and justifiable so. The food was fantastic. This is more a Sushi restaurant than a Chinese, but they do have what I would call traditional Chinese dishes on the menu. At first the menu is very complicated and my best advice would be to order Sushi for starter and then Chinese as a main. We ordered way to much food, probably enough for 12 but there were only 6 of us. The bill came to €40 per head but that could easily be halved without over ordering and massive amounts of vino. The place is run by chefs and waiting staff from the Way who could see the downturn with the place and wanted to break out and do their own thing. Well worth a visit and next summer I’m sure it will be very popular.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

Madcat
2 Star Supporter
2 Star Supporter

Re: Sushi - Es Castell

Post by Madcat » November 15th, 2020, 2:27 am

Sounds great. Hoping it won’t be too long before I’m back there. I have never tried the Chinese in Es Castell but this sounds like it’s worth a visit. Thanks.

bigyellowcroc
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by bigyellowcroc » November 18th, 2020, 9:52 am

Does anybody know what happened to Bar Irene . Did'nt make it out to Es Castell this summer . Trip advisor have also pulled the plug.
Anybody got any info ? :???:

Rickse28
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by Rickse28 » November 19th, 2020, 11:16 am

I hope they succeed. That was a good review which should help them. Once you get to know the typical portions an eaterie supplies, you can trim your order accordingly. I think e20 per head is doable and sounds like great value.
If I get a fair wind and things go well, I'll be over there within a few months. I will put that place in my diary.
Anyone trying to start a restaurant or keep one going deserves a medal IMO. We have a Nepalese restaurant in Woolwich (SE London) which is nearly always packed (in happier times) but is currently forced by Covid-19 restrictions to do takeaway food only. This has been decimating their business, as indeed many restaurants.
I think these world restrictions are excessive and should be eased off - I am no expert in the subject but have been reading that it is better for all of us to get the bug and build up our natural resistance: the so-called herd immunity theory.
Here's hoping 2021 will see better times, not just for the catering industry but for all of us! :partyman: :rock:

the mad buyer
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Post by the mad buyer » November 19th, 2020, 8:37 pm

bigyellowcroc wrote:
November 18th, 2020, 9:52 am
Does anybody know what happened to Bar Irene . Did'nt make it out to Es Castell this summer . Trip advisor have also pulled the plug.
Anybody got any info ? :???:
Restaurant Irene is now Sushi Es Castell 😎
Stories are like fairy gold, the more you give away, the more you have

the mad buyer
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Post by the mad buyer » November 19th, 2020, 8:38 pm

Shuggie wrote:
November 14th, 2020, 7:24 pm
Today we went to the new Sushi restaurant in Es Castell which used to be Irene. I’ve been to the Way in port Mahon twice and both times have been very, very disappointed by the food and more so the service. I’ve not been back for at least 2 years. So Sushi Es Castell has some very good reviews and justifiable so. The food was fantastic. This is more a Sushi restaurant than a Chinese, but they do have what I would call traditional Chinese dishes on the menu. At first the menu is very complicated and my best advice would be to order Sushi for starter and then Chinese as a main. We ordered way to much food, probably enough for 12 but there were only 6 of us. The bill came to €40 per head but that could easily be halved without over ordering and massive amounts of vino. The place is run by chefs and waiting staff from the Way who could see the downturn with the place and wanted to break out and do their own thing. Well worth a visit and next summer I’m sure it will be very popular.
We really enjoyed this restaurant. Great food and prices
Stories are like fairy gold, the more you give away, the more you have

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » November 20th, 2020, 7:23 pm

Will definitely give it a try if they’re open at Christmas (if we actually get there).
Way in Mahon used to be fabulous years ago, when it was in the tiny building next to Pierro’s, but it’s definitely suffered from over-expansion. Saying that, we do usually end up there on Christmas Eve, as there’s not much else open with any atmosphere and TBF we’ve only had one year, in about 15, when we were dissatisfied with the meal. The service has always been a bit hit and miss though. They never understand the concept of food courses being served at different times, but I think that’s just how Chinese food works and it’s lost in translation with Brits expecting starters, mains etc.
Wonder if the lovely English girl, front of house, who worked at Way for many years has gone to this new place.

Sunseaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sunseaker » November 20th, 2020, 11:32 pm

I think the English girl at front of house was called Kate, when we first moved to Menorca she helped us a lot with official things as she's fluent in Spanish, we new her late parents very well, a lovely couple who lived in Son Vilar.
I only let him think he's in charge.

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » November 21st, 2020, 6:03 pm

Yes, that’s it, Kate! She travelled to Spain to study Spanish for her degree, ended up in Menorca, met her boyfriend and never returned home (who can blame her)? She told us both her parents had sadly passed away a few years ago, but we haven’t seen her about for a while.