The best Resturants in Arenal D'En Castell

Accommodation & Restaurant info for the Arenal d'en Castell, Na Macaret, Coves Noves and Port Addaya resort area.
hodghegs
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Re: The best Resturants in Arenal D'En Castell

Post by hodghegs » August 4th, 2010, 1:20 pm

We've just returned from our glorious 2 weeks, and although we were staying near the South Coast, we just had to make a trip back to Sa Gavina...

Well Fernando saw us coming and ran to greet us from 100 yards away. huge hugs, names remembered - it makes you feel great.

We went 4 times over the 2 weeks, the mixed paella was superb, chille as good as ever, gorgeous stuffed red peppers and lovely pizzas too. Kate's puddings were as lovely as ever. I was sorry to see the swordfish had gone off their menu though.

It was getting quite busy the few days before we came home as well, which is good to see as it was very quiet the first week.

HilarE
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by HilarE » June 1st, 2012, 2:39 pm

I feel we are very lucky with the selection of restaurants in Arenal, and nearby Macaret and Addaia. We enjoy the Flamingo because we have known Kiko since 1984 and are always made so welcome. We also enjoy the Red Bar/Bar Paella, Octi is a one off, and there can't be a better setting anywhere! Smithys, the Goodbridge and the Alcalde are all very good too. Some are cheapish and the Alcalde for example is quite expensive so we alternate where and what we eat! We also enjoy the Castillo in Addaia and the Bar Cantina down in the Port. The Japi has been taken over by the Chef of the Acquario, Macaret and will be making it slightly more up market, so we have been told. So we will be trying there again. We always used to eat at the Sa Gavina but have been disappointed with the steaks the last couple of years. By the way Fernando is going to be a daddy again!
Can't wait to get back.

Mrs H
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by Mrs H » July 9th, 2012, 12:28 pm

We are going to Arenal in 2 weeks time and looking forward to eating at El Pirata where we have always found the food and service first class.I am looking forward to trying the Japi and Alcaldi. The only place we would never ever go to again Is Sa Gavina. Having eaten there several times we experienced such rudeness from the waitress when expressing ( in a very polite manner I would like to add) our disappointment at the standard of one of our meals. They have a very loyal fan base ( we would have considered ourselves fans too ) but and it's a BIG but, you should be able to offer an opinion when a meal is sub standard and you are paying hard earned cash for it... Luckily there are many other great places to eat .... :grin:

jthkgwood
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by jthkgwood » July 21st, 2012, 10:07 am

I agree Mrs H. We are also big fans of El Pirata and tryng the Japi (new owners?) and the Alcaldi. Sa Gavina saddens me because it is in a great location, Fernando is a smashing chap and the food is generally good. However our friends have experienced the same rudeness you mention. Therefore tends to put me off to be honest. Otherwise, cannot wait to return and try the delights.....9 days to go!

HilarE
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by HilarE » July 21st, 2012, 7:39 pm

We tried the Japi for the first time this week, but found the menu not really to our taste, mostly pizzas and pasta. Only one steak and one lamb dish and as we are meat eaters were disappointed but it was good, friendly service and was a treat to be back in what used to be our favourite haunt.

Those who remember Rodrigo, Kiko's brother will be pleased to know he is back working for Big Brother at The Flamingo. His twins are 7 years old so that's how long ago we last saw him and Nieve. Have had good meals there, the Alcalde, the Red Bar and El Castillo and snacks at the Goodbridge. Hoping to get to Smithy's tonight but have trouble parking nearby and my husband can't walk far. Hope you all enjoy your holidays the weather is simply fantastic.

Scooter68

Post by Scooter68 » May 7th, 2014, 2:03 pm

Afternoon all, i note that this tread has not changed in a while, just wondered if any eating establishments have changed, improved, declined since the last post.

Am heading over again in early July so any feed back (non pun) would be greatly appreciated.

SusieH

Post by SusieH » May 7th, 2014, 7:45 pm

Don't forget, the season's just opened, so you might not get many just yet until peeps have started going over :lol:
I'll stop moaning, when you give me a pay rise this :arms: big

:nonono: SITE POLICE - REMEMBER i'm watching you :nonono:

woodhouse
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by woodhouse » May 9th, 2014, 8:55 am

SusieH

Can't wait for the reports to fly in from 2013 season!

Did visit alcaldi a few weekends ago, was very good but on the pricey side.

HilarE
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by HilarE » May 9th, 2014, 10:46 am

We,ve been in Arenal since 20 th April and have eaten out a lot. Our favourites are the Red Bar, Goodbridge, and Alcalde and have had meals at the Taj, Flamingo and Richard Kane's . We hadn,t eaten at Kane's since it was Gino's and although the waiter was friendly and we were the only customers the service was terrible and we didn't like the menu much. Another favourite The El Castillo in Addaia isn't open yet and the Japi has changed hands again.

For any one who remembers Bruce who has been on the island for more the 30 years as a wind surfing instructor and had the beach bar and bar up at Arepar I think, called Uncle Bruce's Cabin, well, bad news I'm afraid. He passed away Easter
Monday aged 58 years.

jthkgwood
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by jthkgwood » May 10th, 2014, 6:41 pm

We visited Arenal last year and went to the following restaurants;

Red Bar ('Copas') on the beach; Excellent, paticularly the huge & tasty steaks and various fish dishes
Kanes (re-opened last year); Poor, limited menu and lousy service
Goodbridge; Very good, greatly improved since 2012
El Pirata (Coves Noves); Reasonable, nothing exceptional
Flamingo (I think that what's it's called...it's opposite the El Pirata in Coves Noves); Average
Mirador; Average food
Romanis; Good value Menu del dia, excellent breakfasts
Japi; Average bordering on poor

This year we want to try the restaurant in the Whitesands complex (despite the steps) where we have not visited in years. Will also go to the Alcalde for their Lamb Shoulder dish. Otherwise evening trips to Mahon and Fornells will be on the itinary hopefully. Roll on 28/7/14 ;0)