Arenal in 2017

Accommodation & Restaurant info for the Arenal d'en Castell, Na Macaret, Coves Noves and Port Addaya resort area.
Arenalfan

Arenal in 2017

Post by Arenalfan » August 3rd, 2017, 9:02 pm

Was out in Menorca from 29th May to 7th July. Back out late August to late October. Decided to give it a miss during the school holidays as it was starting to become difficult to get my 2 km daily pool swim in. Have been visiting Menorca for the last 17 years and have seen things go from busy to very quiet and back to busy again. I've stayed at a few places on the island but my personal favourite is Arenal d'en Castell.

I stayed at the Sol Isla Apartments and they are basic and a little tired, but as I don't sit about much and eat out every day they are adequate and would recommend them as low budget accommodation. They have a 20 m pool.

I'm always reluctant to recommend where to eat as it pretty much depends on what you like and what you are prepared to spend. However when I'm back out I'll eat at Blue Arenal, Mirador, Good Bridge, and Midnight Bar most of the time. Possibly Alcalde if I want to spend a bit more, but I don't consider it as gourmet in comparison with better restaurants back home. Beachfront places tend to charge more for food and drink because of their location and didn't eat at any of them although I have in the past. I don't rule out eating out at them when I'm back out. My range of spend on evening meal with drink was 20 to 40 euros.

For a drink Midnight Bar and Bar 51 across the road from each other have great staff and prices. Next door to the Midnight Bar is Captain Beto's and it is a real surprise. You could easily miss it as you would think ice cream and snacks only. They have a great selection of craft beers and tasty tapas.

Looking forward to my next trip!

Sunseaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Arenal in 2017

Post by Sunseaker » August 5th, 2017, 10:28 am

:razz: Glad you had a great holiday and many thanks for taking the time to report back for others to read. :razz:
I only let him think he's in charge.

SEJohnstone
1 Star Supporter
1 Star Supporter

Post by SEJohnstone » August 10th, 2017, 9:55 am

We always stay at Whitesands as we have holiday points and come out twice a year. Trouble is money is a bit of a problem now so always looking for a cheap but nice meal and a drink, so thanks for the posting, we will try it! :jozza:

Mirador
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Mirador » August 13th, 2017, 12:11 am

Very envious of the long periods of time you spend in Menorca.

I'll be heading there for 18 nights in a couple of weeks.
Neil

All people have the ability to light up a room, some when they enter and some when they leave.

Arenalfan

Post by Arenalfan » October 24th, 2017, 8:48 pm

Just back from Menorca again after spending another 6 weeks. First 5 in Arenal d'en Castell again and the last in S'Algar for the first time. Nothing much had changed from July, but Captain Beto's closed last week in September. The Midnight Bar had already closed before my arrival. Visited Kane's Bar and Restaurant for menu del dia a few times and all ok. Nothing fancy but what can you expect for 12 euros.
Would recommend Good Bridge, El Mirador and Blue Arenal , as I've never had anything other than a decent meal every time I've visited them. However, you can't keep everyone happy and on social media I saw a complaint about prices for one of them. I can only say if you expect a decent sirloin and a bucket of beer for 25 euros perhaps somewhere else should be considered. Not that I would ever want the aforementioned!.
Love Arenal and will be back for most of the summer next year, but I won't be back to S'Algar. No beach, and only a couple of restaurants other than in hotels, and one small supermarket. Nothing wrong with any facilities, just less choice than Arenal.

SusieH

Post by SusieH » October 25th, 2017, 6:22 pm

Thanks for the report :finga:
I'll stop moaning, when you give me a pay rise this :arms: big

:nonono: SITE POLICE - REMEMBER i'm watching you :nonono: