Ciutadella Fiestas 23rd and 24th June

Accommodation & Restaurant info for the Ciutadella / Cala Morell area.
Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ciutadella Fiestas 23rd and 24th June

Post by Slartibartfast » April 21st, 2017, 4:23 pm

Ciutadella Fiestas

The fiesta in Ciutadella is held on the 23rd and 24th June, plus the preceding Sunday. It is the most famous fiesta on Menorca, and dates back some 700 years. The church’s of Ciutadella commission have a religious procession on horseback to the Sant Joan de Missa chapel to honour their patron saint.

The procession is made up of horse riders [cavallers] who are traditionally farmworkers, the remainder on foot (caixers) are professionals, church members , local nobility, craftsmen and apprentice's.

El fabioler (city herald), normally rides on a donkey and heads the procession as it winds its way through the streets of the town playing the flute.

The start of the fiesta is on the preceding Sunday and is known as "Diumenge des Be". A group of caixers and the fabioler accompany a man with a live ram draped over his shoulders as he walks barefoot around the streets.

The main horses parade starts around 14:00 on 23rd at the home of the senior Caixer and continues non-stop until the last man standing or early hours of the 25th. Events to watch are the Caragol des Born on the 23rdin the evening and the jousting held on the evening of the 24th in the Pla de Sant Joan.

A full itinerary is normally published a week or so before hand and will be available just about everywhere including the tourist info office in the arrivals hall of the airport.

Anyone have any do's and dont's ?
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

glensibs
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Re: Ciutadella Fiestas 23rd and 24th June

Post by glensibs » April 21st, 2017, 6:48 pm

We've never been, like a lot of Spanish fiestas it sounds absolutely manic. Apparently you are supposed to dash up to one of these rearing stallions and touch it's heart. I don't think our insurance will cover any resulting injuries. We have noticed that if you try and book any accommodation that includes these dates the price is off the scale. I don't think it is for us but I'd be interested to hear if anyone has braved it!

SusieH

Post by SusieH » April 21st, 2017, 6:50 pm

I think it's just the locals that do that to the horses :???: Be stupid to attempt it. But the fiestas are well worth going to, they're brilliant, you should try them :lol:
I'll stop moaning, when you give me a pay rise this :arms: big

:nonono: SITE POLICE - REMEMBER i'm watching you :nonono:

trevx
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Post by trevx » April 22nd, 2017, 3:02 pm

Never been able to get to the Ciutadella fiesta, although it's looks amazing, if somewhat frenetic and I think they're restricting numbers to certain areas this year for safety reasons.

Have been to those in Es Castell, Alaior, Mercadel and San Clemente; loved all of them but favourites were San Clemente and Alaior, although the firework display reflected in the water at Es Castell was amazing. Would happily go to any of them again :lol: Even if you don't fancy the mayhem of the caragol, there are other processions which take place earlier in the day which are more sedate!

Have a link for this year's fiesta dates which I'll post in the general section.

Juliegg
1 Star Supporter
1 Star Supporter

Post by Juliegg » May 18th, 2017, 1:48 pm

The fiesta of Sant Joan is for locals, but over the years, and also due to live tv streaming, it has been well and truly hijacked by yongsters from the mainland and Majorca.. As a spectacle it is not to be missed, but stay out of the sanded areaof the harbour when the games are underway. When we we younger we did go down, as we were nimble enough to get out of the way. But......the lady who got killed a few years ago was no youngster, and a horse plunging out of control into the crowd was fatal for her. Safety has been really improved since then, and you certainly cannot get down if you have young children in buggies.....thank goodness! If you are fortunate enough to be on the island during Sant Joan, at least get to see the horses and riders in the Plac de Born before they go down to the harbour for the games. Over one hundred and fifty stallions is a sight you will never see at any of the islands other fiestas.......this is the one!