My experience of Cala Blanca - 31 Aug to 7 Sep

Accommodation & Restaurant info for the Santandria, Sa Caleta and Cala Blanca resort area.
Devine

My experience of Cala Blanca - 31 Aug to 7 Sep

Post by Devine » September 27th, 2012, 7:11 pm

So I stumbled across this forum and decided to join up to share my experience of Menorca, which was my first ever time in Spain.

Flew out of Leeds/Bradford on Friday the 31st of August with Thomas Cook Airlines, and it was a very smooth, two hour flight that went quickly. One thing I noticed instantly about the place was the climate, and how it felt different to the usual Mediterranean sunshine. The air wasn't as thick and humid like it was when I've been to Greece or Italy, it felt more like a warm summer's day in Britain.

Another thing I noticed was how clean and well kept the island was. In Greece, where I've been nine times, the streets are eroded and there's constant dried crops. But in Spain, or maybe just Menorca anyway, it's very green and the presentation of the place is really good.

But anyway, stayed at the Hotel Cala Blanca, which was really lovely. The place itself just felt like a residential area with a hotel in the middle of it, which was nice because it gave a relaxed and quite authentic vibe about the place, compared to certain other resorts abroad which are constant hustle and bustle. The walk down to the cove was nice as well, with the enveloping road overlooking the mini-beach. I swam in the sea there on the last day, really beautiful clear water.

During the actual holiday we didn't really get up to much adventurous, but we did go Ciutadella a couple of times, the first time we got on the bus and the heavens opened. When we got off in Ciutadella everyone ran for cover! We eventually decided to sit inside the Irish bar opposite the bus station, then walked around the town. The architecture was stunning and quite Moorish. It felt more modern than

As for the food, no complaints really. One time in Ciutadella we tried some tapas at a restaurant just down the alley from the main area where the bus station is. I can't for my life remember the name of the place, but it's basically three seperate restaurants knocked into one. Some of you may know which place I mean. But anyway, one thing I did enjoy from it was this fried aubergine drizzled in honey, really lovely. We ate at the hotel a bit as we went all inclusive, and as I'm vegetarian I'm always a bit miffed at choices that suit me, as it's usually just chips, rice and cold pasta. But here we had fried courgettes, spinach croquettes, quesadillas (a bit different to Mexican quesadilla, it was more like a cornish pasty) and the local cheese which was superb.

As for the weather. Like I say, it chucked it down quite a few times and it wasn't as hot as it was in other places I've been abroad, but overall it was still nice and sunny for the most part. I wasn't expecting scorching conditions as I went at the end of summer, but maybe that's a good thing, as I went to Rome last year in early July, so pretty much the hottest part of the year, and I roasted to death.

We also went to the sunset bar a couple of times, the Irish themed place right on the promenade that constantly had Sky Sports on. They served rather large Astrellas, so again, a plus point! :jozza:

Oh, and also, on the drive in from Mahon Airport I saw the inflatable Spongebob and Bart Simpson, which I found rather creepy! :lol: If anyone could tell me the name of the place that has those I'd be grateful! Also, one enduring image is seeing Andres Iniesta's face plastered all over, on those Kalise posters. :lol:

For a while my idea of Spanish tourist resorts were soulless, anglicised places with high rise hotels overlooking the beaches and Brits embarassing themselves abroad, like Magaluf or Benidorm. But Menorca really opened my eyes and made me think about my prejudice. A really beautiful island with lots of culture and it felt really authentic. Normally I prefer sightseeing holidays where I'm constantly on my feet, but I really enjoyed my nice relaxed week in Menorca. One complaint was that I'd have liked to have seen Mahon, but if I go back, which I hope to, I'll aim to stay on that side of the island.

Cheers for reading, I might try and upload some pics I took later!

SusieH

Re: My experience of Cala Blanca - 31 Aug to 7 Sep

Post by SusieH » September 27th, 2012, 10:00 pm

Well thank you for a brilliant report.

I think that's why we all love the island, because it 'isn't' like the other islands or mainland Spain, it's our special little island and now it seems we have another convert.

I hope if you decide to go back you venture out more, maybe hire a car, there are so many beautiful places to see it's a shame not to.

:lol: :lol:
I'll stop moaning, when you give me a pay rise this :arms: big

:nonono: SITE POLICE - REMEMBER i'm watching you :nonono:

Sunseaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sunseaker » September 28th, 2012, 11:10 am

:grin: Many thanks for sharing your holiday here in Menorca, what a great report, that's what we like to read :supz:
I only let him think he's in charge.

watta
Support Team
Support Team

Post by watta » September 28th, 2012, 4:06 pm

Great report and yes we have another convert on Menorca member. :finga: :supz: :ele:

Alan
:cool:

Devine

Post by Devine » September 28th, 2012, 5:13 pm

Cheers people, I'd definitely love to go back but if I did I'd avoid Cala Blanca this time. Nothing against the place, it was stunning where I stayed, but Menorca is quite a big island and there seems to be so much to see, that I'd want to explore more of it. :smile: